Super Ron

Auto Air Candy2o paint

My next door neighbor doesn't airbrush any longer as he has moved to other artsy stuff.   He gave me 3 bottles of Auto Air Candy2o paint ( Caribe Blue, Emerald Green, and Tequila Yellow).    What do I need to know about these?    Do they need a white base or black?  Are there examples out there of cranks that have been painted using this paint so I can see the results?

Thanks

I took a cheap jerk bait and made an attempt to paint it with only the green.    First I used Op White as a base then as Monte hinted to, I sprayed an iridescent silver over that.   

Once I tried to spray the green, I made it a point to run my pressure higher and choke down the needle.   I got a good spray and was presently surprised how the coverage went.    But I don't know if I thinned it too much or not, I don't think I'm at a level to use this paint in fine detail and don't know if it's meant for that.   I haven't gotten to the epoxy yet.     I just need to see what it will look like.

Right now for me, this would have limited applications but I will have fun finding out what those applications are.

Thinning, mixing and fine detail painting takes time/practice to get it down. But you know what.......you don't understand it until you keep trying. It's hard to tell you how to do things right from the start. Just keep asking questions and keep trying to do it. You may even find another way.

Instead of making mistakes on a bait that you have put so much work on. Try doing these on anything else like paper, wood, pvc.....

Keep it up you will get it.

Dale

• Like 1

Thanks  Dale.   This is the second time you have mentioned practicing on PVC   Taking that statement, I bought a piece of PVC pipe and a tube cutter.    That's hard to paint.    So you can say I'm dumb but I'm thinking now you meant like the PVC decking board stuff.

The PVC pipe idea I said I can  try that.   But can't buy a piece of wood or pvc decking as I have no where to cut it.    I live in an apt.   My girlfriend of 7 years (you can have her) is a super super super super neat freak.    I literally pull all my stuff out, set up, paint, and put everything back in a closet at the end of the day.    She snapped when she came home once and I had the whole house (at the time) smelling like craws and garlic from pouring plastics all day.    There is no way I could sand or cut that would make any saw dust in the place.   Then again, if she came home from work and saw sanders, work benches, drills, saws, and lots of saw dust everywhere.    HMMMM   something to ponder.

• Like 3

Yeah I understand. I started on a large pieces of paper and pieces of scrap wood. Then I started trying to get the brush to do what I wanted it to do. I used black for the longest time it seemed like, thinning the paint, raising and lower in the pressure. During this time I used a cheap brush, and yes I used pvc pipe for a week or so. Didn't really care what it looked like. The point was to get me and the brush to work together. You can see splatters, spitting, the amount being laid on the piece, etc.  I took my time getting to the blanks for painting.

When I got to painting blanks I had a good idea of how to spray details and kept working on it. So why did I use pvc for this? So I could learn how to paint on a piece that had a radius and stop wasting money on blanks. Was it needed? I thought it helped me a lot. You can squeeze it in a vise to get it a tad more flatter sides with a heat gun. 

I think a lot gets frustrated because they expect to do it right off the start. No............ it takes practice!

Dale

• Like 1