MarkNY

Lesson from today's water test.

Finally had a weather window today where I could get out in the boat and do a proper water test with a few lures. Overall it was a success. My deep diving crankbaits worked great. They dig deep so it's time to work on some shallower diving cranks. I think they will work well for walleye trolling too. Also tested some trolling model goby and alewife lures too. What I learned about them today is if you want a side to side wobble at slow speed you need an oversized lip. At least that's my theory. Lol. I made some 45 degree lip lures that when jerked or retrieved fast had a nice wobble but trolling at 2 or 2.5 mph they didn't have enough action. What would be your baseline parameters for getting a lure to swim properly in that situation? I want a lure that doesn't need to dive much, has a side to side roll and a horizontal stance. I'd appreciate your thoughts or suggestions. Thanks, Mark 

image.jpg

• Like 2

I agree with your theory with the oversize lips.  I've been able to get some nice slow speed wobble (albeit on a bit larger lures) with a circular lip.  Typically, I'll turn a lexan lip with a diameter about twice the width of the (average) lure body.    Being circular, the lip doesn't protrude too far forward, but further out the sides than I usually see.  I tend to put them in at 45 degrees.  Shallower or steeper angles don't seem to offer significantly different action.  Also, when jerked instead of trolling, you can get some great wounded fish action.

I think it's hard to say exactly what the problem might be with your slow speed trolling baits.  You can get more action out of a shallow bait if the line tie is placed as close to the top of the lip as possible.  Bending it downward from its present position might point the way to get more action.  I build a bait that thumps like crazy at 1.5  mph.  It's a 3" flat sided shad shaped  balsa or paulownia bait, 1/4 to 5/16" wide, weighing just over 1/4 oz with a  45 degree 7/8" long rounded lip that is max 3/4" wide. The line tie is right down on the top of the lip.  It will run true at any speed but is best trolled because it won't cast well due to the light weight.  The bait is based on a custom bait called the Shad Killer that a friend in Ohio sent me a few years ago.  A friend and I troll it for striped bass on an inland reservoir with great success.

Edited by BobP