stumpjumper16

Flex coat lure finish

I've been looking for a different finish aside from E-Tex. I've read from various posts about Kbs and D2t, but has anyone used the flex coat lure finish with good results?  I'm just trying to do my homework before I make a decision to keep using E-Tex or switch/use another product. Any input would be appreciated.

I know of a custom builder who uses Flexcoat's UV filtered epoxy on his baits with good results.  There are a variety of slow cure epoxies that work well as lure topcoats. Rod guide epoxies do tend to be a little more expensive than others and are modified with a solvent to level out better over guide threads, so cure a little slower than glue epoxies like D2T.   

I've been using flex coat products to build and clear coat my baits for many years.   Once I learned how to use the product I've neverran into any problems.   If you used etex then flex coat rod epoxy will be easy.   I use flex coat ultra v high build, 2 coats with at least 15hrs between coats.

I have been having trouble with my Flex coat curing. I have tried all the usual tricks.. including measuring with scale and graduated mixing cups  the only thing I can think of  is I may have put too much hardner in the mix.

any suggestions comments would be much appreciated thank you!! 

8 hours ago, Stix340 said:

I have been having trouble with my Flex coat curing. I have tried all the usual tricks.. including measuring with scale and graduated mixing cups  the only thing I can think of  is I may have put too much hardner in the mix.

any suggestions comments would be much appreciated thank you!! 

I use the flex coat syringes to measure out flex coat and have never had a problem. Maybe try syringes?

• Like 1

First what type of lure, wood or plastic and how many at a time. For plastic small bass type lures I would use something like KBS , E-Tex would be to heavy on small plastic lures, same goes for small wooden lures. If you are doing a few at a time E-Tex is faster then the Flex  coat which is too long for me in between coats, as soon as my E-Tex is tacky ( I make musky lures) I start the next coat. Like all just mix them right and use the lure turner.

Wayne

Flex coat is measured by volume, use the syringes it's a big help.   I had some problems with a batch not curing and it was mix problem.   The next batch cured just fine.   You must use a turner.   I build ultra light cranks from balsa and still use flex coat as my clear coat, never had a issue with it.

• Like 1