Darkman

Wire length for slow rolling spinnerbaits

I have been getting better with my spinnerbait pouring thanks to Smallmouth

now though I want to make my spinnerbaits for a specific purpose, I want to build them to slow roll, since I'm still new to building them I need help. I have wire to be able to bend my own

what length should I bend the wire, the one to the head I'm going with 1 1/2" but the blade side

is what is causing me trouble, how long should I make it. Thank you guys

Erick, it depends on the head size and blade type along with the length of wire used on the hook leg. The easiest way to get a bait to experiment with is to make the blade arm 1/2" longer than the hook leg and in this case the blade arm will be 2".  That is a starting point as I don't know the type of blade, if it is single or tandem or double, and I don't know how much wire is going to be coming out of the head.  All of that stuff will affect the bait,  for me, if I'm making a slow roll bait for fishing deep, I'll use a single blade, a willow for clearer water and an Indiana for off colored water, dirty water I'll slow roll shallow with a Colorado blade.  The key for deep slow rolling is to have a steeper angle on bend of the blade arm to decrease drag to help keep the bait down, and because the blade will be close to the hook you don't want it extending past the hook too far. I like to have the very back of the blade even or just a hair past the bend of the hook, and for that reason you have to either adjust the loop size to attach the blade and swivel or you have to adjust the wire length either coming out of the head or the length of blade arm.  So start with the blade arm 1/2" longer than the hook leg, this will get you close and then adjust accordingly to get it the way you need it to be.

• Like 2

I only use Worth willow and Colorado blades since they have a "tight to the shaft rotation"- plus they start spinning faster during a slow-roll retrieve and require less effort.You want finished  loop for the ball bearing to be completed @ the end of you hook. Worth ball bearing swivels are of paramount importance to complete your slow-roll project.