DoubleT

Muskie Glide Bait

I am new to lure making and only have a few soft plastic musky lures under my belt. I want to try my hand at a musky glide bait. Its not jointed and will be approximately 9 inches long and 1 inch thick. Would I be ok making it out of resin with micro balloons or should I go with some sort of hardwood. I like the idea of being able to cast it from resin but Im concerned with the durability of the resin vs the durability of the hardwood. Would a glider made of resin hold up to a thrashing musky? Thanks  

If you are going to make a original bait pattern you will have to have a master. This can be made of any material that will give you the shape that you are after. Most use wood for the master to make the mold for the resin. Silicone molds is said to give you the best mold because it allows for detail with undercuts (which makes sense). This I do know about mold making and POP (plaster of Paris) it is the cheapest way to make molds and it is limited in what it allows you to do. I'm using it now  for me to start understand the does and don't in making molds. I will soon try silicone for a new detail lure that I have been designing.

Will resins hold up? Don't believe anything short of kevlar will hold up to some species and this is one of them. So the length of time is the thing. Paint types and top clear coat is what I think will be very important. There will be some musky bait makers/fishermen coming along that can give you some insight on this part I'm sure.

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
Adding comment

1 hour ago, DaleSW said:

If you are going to make a original bait pattern you will have to have a master.

IMG_3607.thumb.jpg.89fa6de7a2386dafae1ec0c3b53c7360.jpgIMG_3608.thumb.jpg.9dbb5ec2b7f90672f81ce985a896d07e.jpg

This is the master that I made out of sculpey clay. I think I have it sanded down and shaped the way I want it. I just need to fill in the tiny holes and such with some bondo and I should be good. I have a little experience with silicone. Key word "little". I made a couple silicone molds for some soft plastic musky baits. Silicone can be reused so hold on to any left overs that you have. Thanks

47 minutes ago, woodieb8 said:

wire thru resin should be all good. micro balloons are the key though. too many can/will weaken the bait

I was thinking that the balloons would be the determining factor as far as durability goes. Didn't consider wire thru. I will study on that. Thats probably the route I need to take. Thanks   

One thing you want to get as accurate as possible with gliders in my experience is symmetry ,gliders can be much harder to get right than they appear. So aim for as symmetrical as you can manage, from pic it looks nice,  good luck.

Edited by gliders

Thanks for the comments. As Woodie mentioned, I have some .062 SS wire that am using as the line tie and hook hangers. In the pics I just have them stuck into the clay to get an idea as to how the bait will look. I have an internal harness that I formed and intend to place it in the mold prior to pouring the resin.  Does the harness look like it will work Woodie? It is as symmetrical  as I can get it by hand sanding. Once I get it poured I hope to find the balance point and place the weights. I still have to order the resin and microballoons. I think I will stick with this simple shape on my first attempt. I plan to airbrush the scales, gills and other details. Thanks for the help.IMG_3616.thumb.jpg.98bf233293ffbe51ffeed9af0d34c558.jpgIMG_3618.thumb.jpg.bcbaefe2350de0dbfab7e7ed6d754d75.jpgIMG_3619.thumb.jpg.ed7f569147b43aa3e429b3aaf0079f17.jpg  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dauds said:

I'm quite impressed with the cleanliness (not sure how else to word it) of your through wire construction.  .062 stainless, eh?  Thinking about that makes my hands hurt.  

Thanks. I tried to form it one time with a pair of round nose pliers. Decided right away that wasn't going to work. So, I made a bender and things got much easier after that. 

6 hours ago, fshng2 said:

DoubleT does your jig have a series of pins that you wrap the wire around?

Also do you use any levers?

I don't have a jig. I have a modified harness that I use as a template to get the bends in the right locations on harnesses that I plan to use.  I bought a bender just like this one off of Amazon but it didn't make tight enough bends so I made my own. s-l1600.jpg.2fe69ea3ab85e44c4097549d63e7270a.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DoubleT said:

I don't have a jig. I have a modified harness that I use as a template to get the bends in the right locations on harnesses that I plan to use.  I bought a bender just like this one off of Amazon but it didn't make tight enough bends so I made my own. s-l1600.jpg.2fe69ea3ab85e44c4097549d63e7270a.jpg

DoubleT  I have been bending wire for flutter jigs.

Basically a U a straight and a U.

The jig I made just uses pins but I can't get as tight a bend as I would like.

A lever arm like yours would help me with tighter bends, not to mention less fatigue on the hands.

Thanks for sharing the pic this helps.

5 minutes ago, fshng2 said:

DoubleT  I have been bending wire for flutter jigs.

Basically a U a straight and a U.

The jig I made just uses pins but I can't get as tight a bend as I would like.

A lever arm like yours would help me with tighter bends, not to mention less fatigue on the hands.

Thanks for sharing the pic this helps.

Not a problem. Glad I could help.

DoubleT,  correct me if I am wrong.

Their are two points to consider when designing a lever type bender.

It is necessary to consider the wire size and the diameter of the pivot pin or pin nearest the end of the bar.

That pin diameter determines how tight the finished radius will be.

trout.thumb.JPG.b25127b3858551a17860c973c52d93ae.JPG

Well here is my fist attempt at a rainbow trout pattern. First time using a airbrush is a little intimidating. I practiced for a little bit on a piece of pvc pipe and said what the heck, lets give it a whirl. Each color seemed to spray a different which from what I read isn't uncommon. Thanks for the help that you guys offered.

• Like 2