gliders

History of tackleunderground

Hi, I know this may not be the place for this but thought I'd ask anyway. This is a great site and resource and I've been wondering about the sites history ,and how it came about. Who started the site? Who owns the site ? Is it a commercial enterprise ? Where is it based? Who runs it ? ,That sort of thing.  There doesn't appear to be much info in homepage or wherever ,apologies if not the place to ask ......thanks ,glider

Edited by gliders
  • Like 1

It's been a year or so ago and I happened upon the posts reading the thread to find out about something totally different, best that I can remember. You would have a hard time finding it. I don't remember any info about some of the questions that you have asked.

Have you notice some archive threads and members sign up dates? I've seen some from 2004 of the ones that I know I've seen.

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
Adding comment

"Once upon a time...".   -or-   "A long time ago, In a galaxy far, far away..."

Makes me feel like an old man thinking about this stuff...

There was a tackle making site, appropriately called Tacklemaking.Com that started in 2001 (Erik was the name of the owner, I don't remember his last name though...)

IMG_0208.PNG

Edited by clemmy
  • Like 1

The discussion part of this site started to develop into a lure making community. As happens with web sites, it started to kind of decline (think MySpace.com). When it shut down ( I think late 2003, early 2004), The forum information was lost (although the site owner still had, and I've heard one other member saved to cd, but that's another story) 

One of the forum members (RedG8tr. I.e. Jerry Goodwin) had the foresight in 2003 to start a new site, this time centered only on the forum, called  Tackleunderground.com.

IMG_0207.PNG

• Like 1

In 2013, Jerry found he couldn't dedicate the time needed to the site, and sold it to Curt with Lure Parts Online (LPO). Thankfully, the forum has been maintained and moderated freely, where members are allowed to discuss our hobby.

I believe we owe Jerry, and now Curt a great deal of thanks !

This all makes me miss some of the old timers that no longer post, as well as those we've lost along the way, like (off the top of my head) Swede, Coley and Bruce...

Clemmy

aka

Craig

Edited by clemmy
  • Like 1

Good summary Clemmy.  

I understand completely about the old timers.   Unbelievable amount of knowledge was at your finger tips.  I know I am very thankful for the hours spent in chats with several of these guys during that time  (hours a night was common place).    

• Like 1

Thanks for that clemmy, very interesting and definitely appreciate the effort of those involved. I kinda wondered if maybe it was a group of  like minded guy's from a certain area or whatever . So are the staff/moderaters volunteers or employed by lurepartsonline ? I would have thought if l.p.o own the site then posting about recommending supplies etc. from other suppliers would be a bit off ? Or is there no etiquette  in that regard ? thanks again ,and any more info about the history of t.a and guys who made it happen would be interesting. ....glider

LPO has been a very good about keeping TU as it functioned prior.   That was  concern of several when they were taking over but they were clear that would not be the case.    

Moderators are volunteers any one else gets paid.

Many guys still read the threads but don't post/participate frequently.

Edited by Travis
  • Like 2

Very interesting how it has evolved. I do notice how a lot of older statues members will pop up every so often.  As far as the group of people who has kept TU going, differently appreciate that. I painted plastic baits before I came to TU for some time but was interested in making some wooden blanks. A plastic blank vender turned me on to TU. Learnt a lot from the people here and people that was here.

LPO I now patronize them now because of TU, sence I know the company helps keeps TU going......and sponsors. Going to use another sponsor soon.

Clemmy and Travis I appreciate the info a lot.

People who read the "search/archive" threads do yourself a favor when you can. Start reading at the oldest threads first. You will see how techniques changed or hasn't at all. I believe you will learn more too. I've started doing it lately.

Thanks,

Dale

• Like 1

Yeah Nathan, I'm right there with ya. I think quite a few came over here initially, but didn't last. Off the top of my head I remember FunnyFarm, Chirmy, Celticav, Hiro, LaPala, Jeff Thompson,  PaBasser, Divani, Big Splash, Out2llunge as being there but not really here.. There's some of us old farts still here though!

Those screen shots are from back when each first started..

Craig

Gees Clemmy what a memory you have. I had forgotten all of those guys but remember the names now. I know I was one of the original moderators but I cant think of the rest of them. Due to to much work I had to be replaced. I think Sketter stepped in to take my place. Clemmy can probably name the other original  moderator back in the day.

• Like 2

The good old days still come back and snoop and give my 2 cents every couple months.  Arthritis has taken this hobby away from me. Still tinker one in a while. Glad this site is still around all these years. Site looks nice and clean!

• Like 1

I have all the respect in the world for the people here that has been making baits for all these years. Some of them need to know this.

I have a bad habit in being a devils advocate and I can tell I ruffle some feathers from time to time. I just want to know why you have the opinion that you do, just not because you say so. Somewhere along the way you found a reason to do it that way or not. I'm just finding out why.

Nothing but respect for you people......as JR posted....... keep writing!! :popcorn:

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
Typo

On 3/1/2017 at 3:06 PM, clemmy said:

Yeah Nathan, I'm right there with ya. I think quite a few came over here initially, but didn't last. Off the top of my head I remember FunnyFarm, Chirmy, Celticav, Hiro, LaPala, Jeff Thompson,  PaBasser, Divani, Big Splash, Out2llunge as being there but not really here.. There's some of us old farts still here though!

Those screen shots are from back when each first started..

Craig

I have not been here that long, but in your post some of those names jogged my memory, one was Hiro with whom I used to receive  and send PM's occasionally--Every time I think of, or see something about Japanese lures I wonder if he was killed in that tsunami/ earthquake all those years back, as I have not heard of him since that time--Hiro used to fish the coastal lakes in a kayak/canoe, (on the East coast I think)--Anyway I hope not, too many of these ''old timers''  have just disappeared and some too soon have passed away --

Hoping Hiro just got sick of me /us  :lol:.

I know ''LaPala'' is still around, in Asia somewhere.

''Jeff Thompson'' used to play cricket here in the 70's, world class fast bowler :D.

Pete

Edited by hazmail
  • Like 2

Good reading,I wondered if it had been guy's from a certain area who knew each other or what ? Were there builders from around the world in earliest day's ?, l think it would be worth keeping going for any future builder's to see how ,who and where T.A originated. Appreciate insight, thanks......glider

Bulk of guys have always been from US but definitely wouldn't say it was uncommon to have guys from other parts of the world since I joined in early 2004.   

There are guys that definitely know each other but mainly after joining the site.  There were several TU meets where small group got to meet over some lure building, fishing, and food.  I thought about going a few times but just never did.

• Like 1