gliders

History of tackleunderground

Cadman, I'm not only man enough to fish pink, it's one of my go to colors! Funny story-about seven or eight years ago, I was just starting out fishing. One day I was watching the fisherman next to me catch striper after striper, while I came up empty. The difference was he using a teaser, and I had forgotten to bring any. When I left the beach I went to my local bait shop and bought a few. I bought a bright pink teaser on the theory that it would be very visible. Next day at the beach I had to weather some ribbing about my pink teaser-until I started pulling in stripers one after another. I went back to the bait shop a few days later, the owner asked me if I had been on the beach fishing the pink teaser. Turns out he'd had a run on the pinks, and he'd heard about how many fish I'd caught! Been using pink for stripers, weaks, and fluke, ever since...

30 minutes ago, FishCandy said:

Cadman, I'm not only man enough to fish pink, it's one of my go to colors! Funny story-about seven or eight years ago, I was just starting out fishing. One day I was watching the fisherman next to me catch striper after striper, while I came up empty. The difference was he using a teaser, and I had forgotten to bring any. When I left the beach I went to my local bait shop and bought a few. I bought a bright pink teaser on the theory that it would be very visible. Next day at the beach I had to weather some ribbing about my pink teaser-until I started pulling in stripers one after another. I went back to the bait shop a few days later, the owner asked me if I had been on the beach fishing the pink teaser. Turns out he'd had a run on the pinks, and he'd heard about how many fish I'd caught! Been using pink for stripers, weaks, and fluke, ever since...

I see you're a new member here .Welcome aboard. A lot of guys on here with a vast knowledge of all kind of tacklemaking. On the subject of pink, I only do well fishing it in early spring with a wacky style worm. Seems the smallies love them up here. Other than that time of year I have tried and tried pink for bass with no success. I will say this, when I fished walleyes and sauger  on the IL and WI rivers, the  saugers would annihilate a pink jig tipped with a minnow. Anytime I would go river fishing, I had to bring at least 50 jigs with me, many of them getting snagged, and the rest the fish would just wear the paint off.

On 12/20/2017 at 1:38 PM, Nathan said:

Cadman,

I have that pink spinnerbait proudly displayed in my collection...Those get togethers were a blast!!..Nate

Nathan, yes my wife and I had a great time at those get togethers. Learned a lot of new things and made a lot of new friends.

On 12/20/2017 at 2:30 PM, FishCandy said:

Cadman, 

Fifty jigs?! To think I was complaining of losing six rigs while black fishing!

50 jigs is not uncommon. The thing you have to realize, all the rocks, trees and debris on the bottom of those rivers. Most of the jigs were lost to snags. Also I used only round head jigs, painted tipped with a minnow. So since I pour and paint my own, it wasn't that expensive

I'm back for a visit! I still come here occasionally to see what's going on. I'm one of the "old timers" here and was one of the first few members on TM. Actually, I am the longest surviving member here. Only Swede (RIP) predates me (by only one day though). I think Redg8r called me "the father of the photo-finish" as I was the first person to post pictures of some baits that I had done using the process. You guys here have really taken the process and ran with it. I was also one of the first four at the first "get-together" at Coley's (RIP) home. Charlie aka Charlie Mitchell and one other that I can't remember were the other two. Then, Nathan sponsored our first official TU Get-Together at his house. What a great time! Nathan (of course), myself, Coley, Charlie, KC Dano and a couple of others were there. At one time, I think there were pictures here on the site of the get-togethers. I don't come here often. I am a woodcarver and decided to spend more time with my carving as opposed to lure making. I still make lures sometimes though. Usually once or twice a year. I'm actually working on some now to take to El Salto in May.

Gene

• Like 1

I am by no means an old timer, joined in 07, but I do often think about the guys that helped me along the way and how thankful I am for this site and people behind it. I do more reading than posting but I cannot express my appreciation for all of you!

This is a great read and I hope more people chime in so we can hear from them!

It has been a (long) while since I really frequented this site but stumbled upon this thread through a link in another post. Glad to see some of the old names are still around and sad to learn some are no longer with us. May they RIP.

Seeing all the names has brought back a lot of memories from those days. I learned a lot from many on this site and regretfully I have forgetten most of it. There was a lot of collaboration on this site and many were trying new things that helped shaped what is considered “normal” today. I walked away from it all during a rough patch in life but never lost the itch to create, be it a new paint scheme or new lure idea. Nowadays I still paint crankbaits some while working on jig colors.

*forgot, I used the name ‘SpoRoller’ back then...

Edited by MarkSpolarich
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 7:24 PM, MarkSpolarich said:

It has been a (long) while since I really frequented this site but stumbled upon this thread through a link in another post. Glad to see some of the old names are still around and sad to learn some are no longer with us. May they RIP.

Seeing all the names has brought back a lot of memories from those days. I learned a lot from many on this site and regretfully I have forgetten most of it. There was a lot of collaboration on this site and many were trying new things that helped shaped what is considered “normal” today. I walked away from it all during a rough patch in life but never lost the itch to create, be it a new paint scheme or new lure idea. Nowadays I still paint crankbaits some while working on jig colors.

*forgot, I used the name ‘SpoRoller’ back then...

I miss the old days. There was always some colorful conversation in the chatroom.

Stumbled across a thread Tally boy started and wound up here.

Good to see Skeeter chimed as well as a few more of the "old gaurd"

• Thanks 1

Glad to see some of the older members still kicking! I joined back in 03 and still remember all the topcoat arguments lol, somethings you never forget, Skeeters knowledge on the NC. crankbait makers, Blades spinnerbaits ( the nicest I’ve ever owned ),  Dean, another Ky builder the finest gentleman you’ll ever meet. I miss those late nights reading the forums.

I joined in 2007. Funny, I have no recollection of 'the good times', although I did have a solid circle of accommodating friends.

I find today's TU far more friendly. I am not impressed with the over emphasis on painting blanks, but I feel that there is enough interest in the basics of lure design to keep the future bright.

TU's future is assured.

Dave

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, bladesandbaits said:

I miss the old days. There was always some colorful conversation in the chatroom.

Blades can paint a pretty crankbait, he just can't catch a fish! :)

I went back and looked at my profile. Joined in 2003. Don't seem that long ago.

Edited by basskat

10 hours ago, VMAXX said:

Glad to see some of the older members still kicking! I joined back in 03 and still remember all the topcoat arguments lol, somethings you never forget, Skeeters knowledge on the NC. crankbait makers, Blades spinnerbaits ( the nicest I’ve ever owned ),  Dean, another Ky builder the finest gentleman you’ll ever meet. I miss those late nights reading the forums.

lol....oh yeah, the arguements over devcon and......what was that other one called?

On 1/8/2019 at 6:43 PM, bladesandbaits said:

colorful lol..... good choice of words!!  There was a lot of memories made in that chatroom

21 hours ago, MarkSpolarich said:

lol....oh yeah, the arguements over devcon and......what was that other one called?

I remember that as well on which one was stronger and which one was better. Guys trying to do harness testing on epoxy finishes. It was pretty brutal at times.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, VMAXX said:

Etex or flex coat were the other 2 that come to mind, constant battle with differing opinions back then

It's funny because there were not a lot of different finish coats available back then like there are now. Someone always had the answer why one finish was better than the other. Good times.

• Thanks 1