gliders

History of tackleunderground

62 posts in this topic

Cadman, I'm not only man enough to fish pink, it's one of my go to colors! Funny story-about seven or eight years ago, I was just starting out fishing. One day I was watching the fisherman next to me catch striper after striper, while I came up empty. The difference was he using a teaser, and I had forgotten to bring any. When I left the beach I went to my local bait shop and bought a few. I bought a bright pink teaser on the theory that it would be very visible. Next day at the beach I had to weather some ribbing about my pink teaser-until I started pulling in stripers one after another. I went back to the bait shop a few days later, the owner asked me if I had been on the beach fishing the pink teaser. Turns out he'd had a run on the pinks, and he'd heard about how many fish I'd caught! Been using pink for stripers, weaks, and fluke, ever since...

30 minutes ago, FishCandy said:

Cadman, I'm not only man enough to fish pink, it's one of my go to colors! Funny story-about seven or eight years ago, I was just starting out fishing. One day I was watching the fisherman next to me catch striper after striper, while I came up empty. The difference was he using a teaser, and I had forgotten to bring any. When I left the beach I went to my local bait shop and bought a few. I bought a bright pink teaser on the theory that it would be very visible. Next day at the beach I had to weather some ribbing about my pink teaser-until I started pulling in stripers one after another. I went back to the bait shop a few days later, the owner asked me if I had been on the beach fishing the pink teaser. Turns out he'd had a run on the pinks, and he'd heard about how many fish I'd caught! Been using pink for stripers, weaks, and fluke, ever since...

I see you're a new member here .Welcome aboard. A lot of guys on here with a vast knowledge of all kind of tacklemaking. On the subject of pink, I only do well fishing it in early spring with a wacky style worm. Seems the smallies love them up here. Other than that time of year I have tried and tried pink for bass with no success. I will say this, when I fished walleyes and sauger  on the IL and WI rivers, the  saugers would annihilate a pink jig tipped with a minnow. Anytime I would go river fishing, I had to bring at least 50 jigs with me, many of them getting snagged, and the rest the fish would just wear the paint off.

Cadman,

I have that pink spinnerbait proudly displayed in my collection...Those get togethers were a blast!!..Nate

On 12/20/2017 at 1:38 PM, Nathan said:

Cadman,

I have that pink spinnerbait proudly displayed in my collection...Those get togethers were a blast!!..Nate

Nathan, yes my wife and I had a great time at those get togethers. Learned a lot of new things and made a lot of new friends.

On 12/20/2017 at 2:30 PM, FishCandy said:

Cadman, 

Fifty jigs?! To think I was complaining of losing six rigs while black fishing!

50 jigs is not uncommon. The thing you have to realize, all the rocks, trees and debris on the bottom of those rivers. Most of the jigs were lost to snags. Also I used only round head jigs, painted tipped with a minnow. So since I pour and paint my own, it wasn't that expensive

I'm used to fishing beaches and bays from shore or kayak. With the exception of blackfish, I don't really deal much with snaggy bottoms. I think your fish over there are just being inconsiderate!

I'm back for a visit! I still come here occasionally to see what's going on. I'm one of the "old timers" here and was one of the first few members on TM. Actually, I am the longest surviving member here. Only Swede (RIP) predates me (by only one day though). I think Redg8r called me "the father of the photo-finish" as I was the first person to post pictures of some baits that I had done using the process. You guys here have really taken the process and ran with it. I was also one of the first four at the first "get-together" at Coley's (RIP) home. Charlie aka Charlie Mitchell and one other that I can't remember were the other two. Then, Nathan sponsored our first official TU Get-Together at his house. What a great time! Nathan (of course), myself, Coley, Charlie, KC Dano and a couple of others were there. At one time, I think there were pictures here on the site of the get-togethers. I don't come here often. I am a woodcarver and decided to spend more time with my carving as opposed to lure making. I still make lures sometimes though. Usually once or twice a year. I'm actually working on some now to take to El Salto in May.

Gene

• Like 1

I am by no means an old timer, joined in 07, but I do often think about the guys that helped me along the way and how thankful I am for this site and people behind it. I do more reading than posting but I cannot express my appreciation for all of you!

This is a great read and I hope more people chime in so we can hear from them!

I got on TU back around the day Al Gore invented the internet. I enjoy reading what others do and get a good laugh sometimes here or there. 

You guys make me feel old :blink: