Squach

newbie questions

Hi there I am new to making soft plastics and I am looking for some tips,advice and maybe some recipes with some pictures. I am also going to be placing a decent sized order from http://www.lurepartsonline.com and I am also wondering if you guys would know any coupons.  Thanks in advance!! Also how do you guys decide what size of glitter for each bait, how long does a pint of plastol last?

Edited by Squach

Yeah I'd start with at least a gallon of plastic.  If you haven't poured before.......and if you're like me........you'll waste a good portion of that just learning. 

One very common mistake for a first-timer:  not mixing it well before pouring. 

Every plastisol has hardener in it and will separate (some more than others.)  Mix it REALLY well each time you start pouring.  If you think you've mixed it enough, mix it more.  Hopefully, this will save you from wasting a bunch of plastic.

Good luck!

Oh no I never spilled any but I have lots of friends and your personal use doesn't stay personal when you got your friends asking you for bait .  If you're starting out you're going to experiment a lot to get the hang of it . When I first started I bought a starter kit that came with the pint. I use that up in a couple hours and had to order another pint and then I used that up and then realize when I should be buying this by the gallon if not by 5 .  More plastic you order the cheaper it is . 

Edited by wallyc14

56 minutes ago, Squach said:

Ok thanks alsworms do you know of any "big box" stores like cabelas that sell worm molding supplies??

I really couldn't say.  All of my supplies were purchased from MF Manufacturing and Lure Craft, although there are many more options now.  Sure couldn't hurt to look into those as well as I've heard many great things about them. 

5 hours ago, Squach said:

Hi there I am new to making soft plastics and I am looking for some tips,advice and maybe some recipes with some pictures. I am also going to be placing a decent sized order from http://www.lurepartsonline.com and I am also wondering if you guys would know any coupons.  Thanks in advance!! Also how do you guys decide what size of glitter for each bait, how long does a pint of plastol last?

LPO offers a one time discount the first time you place an order.  I believe it was 10%.

I called them to place order so I knew I was getting the discount .

Hope this helps.

Squach I'm not trying to spend your $ but you should just go ahead and buy 5 gallons of plasticol. It gets expensive buying in small quantities especially when you have to pay Shipping.   If your like me and you end up obsessed with this hobby you'll be surprised how fast you use up 5 gallons. 

And as already stated you'll be making baits for all your friends too.

8 minutes ago, walleyeking said:

Squach I'm not trying to spend your $ but you should just go ahead and buy 5 gallons of plasticol. It gets expensive buying in small quantities especially when you have to pay Shipping.   If your like me and you end up obsessed with this hobby you'll be surprised how fast you use up 5 gallons. 

And as already stated you'll be making baits for all your friends too.:twocents:

LOL very good point, but I'll toss in some 2 cents worth here..........

I'd still start small.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming Squach has never poured a bait.  If I'm right, one gallon is perfect.  First step it to make a decent bait,  and the second is to do it consistently.  Once you've mastered that, larger quantities are in order.   I say do it as cheaply as possible until you figure out what you're doing.  In the meantime, you have the good folks here at TU to help out. 

Again, just my :twocents:

• Like 1

alsworms is right that I have never poured before, I defiantly understand where you are coming from walleyeking I reload my own ammo, I started out small and before I knew it I was burning thru powder faster than i could buy it :D. But I am on a budget so think i will start of with a gallon and maybe a extra quart. But being my luck I will probably end up spilling the whole thing :boo:,

On 2/26/2017 at 8:14 PM, fshng2 said:

LPO offers a one time discount the first time you place an order.  I believe it was 10%.

I called them to place order so I knew I was getting the discount .

Hope this helps.

I tried calling them but there voicemail is full how do i get the 10% off???

2 hours ago, Squach said:

I tried calling them but there voicemail is full how do i get the 10% off???

Contact Curt-RI  TU Admin he would know.

Shoot him an e-mail.

To find him go to leaderboard/open arrow at top right/open Top Members/scroll down to find ...he is #20

•  

Yep you'll go through the plastic pretty quickly & be ordering 5 gallon at a time at least. When i started i ordered 2.5 gallon from spike it. Went through it very fast then ordered 5 more gallon. Then 5 gallon from bait junkys & i'm almost out of my last gallon & spring fishing is about to start so i getting ready to give Leonard a call to order 5 more gallon. If i hadn't been working 6 days a week it would have been more. Don't ask how many pounds of glitter & how many pints of colorant i've ordered.  Did i mention how many molds i've bought & still not done? lol