bassdude41

Resin glide bait help

I am new to this hobby and  currently trying my hand at a glide bait as well. Hopefully some of the pros will chime in. Its my understanding that weights will be needed to in order to get the lure to sink in the desired position and to give it action during the glide. There are some videos on youtube that explain it way better that I can. Hopefully some others will offer there input. Im interested in this as well.    

I made a glide bait out of PVC using the make lure video as a guide and tested it today. It didn't go well.I got it to sink slowly evenly by using a rather big piece of sheet lead that is used for flashing.I had high hopes I was on the right track but it didn't happen.Level slow sink was okay but when snapped it nose dived toward the bottom and didn't glide much,I removed the line snap-not much change,Removed the front hooks-little change.Discouraged-quit.I intend to change the position of the line tie to below center which I noticed the River to Sea Wide Glide(what I'm trying to copy)has.The other thing I noticed is that the video lure has an evenly tapered head with a centered line tie- the production ones have a more bulbus head with a line tie below center.Such is life for an hack lure maker;I should be used to it by now.It's the good thing about having a lot of projects going.I can put it aside and go on to the next idea then come back to it when the disappointment wears off.

I understand the frustration. I must have gotten lucky with mine. I watched a ton of youtube videos and read up on it as much as i could. I tank tested it. It had what appeared to be a good sink rate and was nice and level.  Took it out on a trial run and discovered it was still to light. I added another weight and was satisfied. Keep at it pal. You will get it running right.

• Like 1

That's pretty much the way it went for me DoubleT.I thought I was going to be much closer than the result.Maybe that's what made it so disappointing.The other thing that I didn't mention was when it did glide a bit, it wanted to only go one way.The weather people are saying 5-8 " of snow tomorrow so it looks like I'll have some time to work on it.COME ON SPRING!!!!!!

It almost sounds like the line tie location was the problem. How did you have the weight placement? What was the total weight of the lure? I use three weights evenly spaced from head to tail and the total weight is right at 9 ounces. It is a large musky glide bait.  Also, weight lower in the belly will make it more stable. 

Wholy crap!9 oz.That's one BIG bait.Glad it's you and not me throwing it .My bait is only 6' and I put the weight between the two belly hooks.( no tail hook) I don't know how much weight was added-I told you I was a hack it's all by guess and by gander.I would say the whole bait weighs between 2.5 and 3 oz.I changed the line tie position today but will have to wait on mother nature before the next test swim.I think I'll bring a drill and pliers with me next time so I can change the hook location if I have to.

I found that I had to test each half individually, to be sure it fell level, and at the same rate as other half.  After I got them both to fall level, I put them side by side in the test bucket and let them fall together.  I added ballast needed to get them to fall at the same rate.

Before I did that, I struggled, too.

I just reread you first post, and it sounds like you're making a one piece glide bait.  I totally sucked when I tried to make one, and gave up.

Edited by mark poulson

Wow Mark if you've given up on them maybe I should reconsider (just joking--I think)Like I said before,I got the level sink the way I want it it's the diving that's an issue.I thought I might move the back belly hook to the tail to aid in lift but that will probably screw up the level sink .Just have to experiment some more.

From my experience with spook-type surface gliders, the center of gravity needs to be slightly past the midpoint, so it sits slightly tail down in the water.  That way, when the more buoyant nose stops, the heavier tail wants to keep moving past it, like a jack knifed truck trailer, and that causes the lure to turn, which begins the side to side walk the dog action.

I would imagine that a sinking glider would need the same slightly tail down posture as it sinks.

The reason two piece glide baits need to fall level and at the same speed is that the S swim action is caused by the lure actually being retrieved on a steady pull, not on a walk the dog, jerk/pause retrieve.

I tried to make a short one piece glider, and I think that was my downfall.  I wanted a bluegill-type bait, but I think it needed to be longer than the 4" bait I tried to make.

In hindsight, I think if I would have weighted it as a walking surface lure first, and then just added enough ballast to get to fall slowly at that same angle,  I might have had more success, but I was too inexperienced to figure that out back then.

Well we've hijacked this post pretty well(sorry about that) so I guess a little more won't hurt.In looking at a lot of how to make glide bait videos.I've noticed that most of them are flat sided  Is there a reason for this shape?The wide glide isn't but most others are.I'm thinking that if moving hooks etc. doesn't work that maybe I'll flatten the sides and see how that works.And if that doesn't work I'll put a bill on it and make it a crank bait.

We do need the picture, and it does not need to be in the gallery this time.  Also, as gliders said, floater or slow sinker?

The devil is in the details, buy I had no issues.  We can help, just give us some time.

I will also offer the following link of recipe you can follow.

http://www.lurebuilding.nl/indexeng.html

• Like 1

I'm also working on a two piece sinking glide and have had the same problems as Highwayman. I got both sections to sink horizontally at the same rate, but when i try to give it a hard twitch it either turns and dives, or it does a complete barrel roll. I was thinking that maybe the weight in each section should be more spread out instead of in one spot. What do you guys think?

Porkmeatballs, so much depends on shape and bohyancy versus ballast placement etc. With flat sided gliders I personally like lots of bohyancy and ballast , I like to keep ballast below centre line from tow point to tail or even lower . Sometimes this means more than 2 ballast points depending on shape and bohyancy of lure . I'm  Sure if you can post pics there's guy's here with glider making experience who can help........gider 

• Like 1

I've been looking at some glides out there, and have noticed that some baits are about the same thickness throughout the entire body. How do you think they made these baits glide? My lure tapers down a little bit at the belly. Why do glides have to be so frustrating hahahaha

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but this does relate to "glide bait help".  Hope you don't mind, bassdude41...

Edited by porkmeatballs