jonister

Buck tail

This is probably a noob question, but what are the pros and cons of synthetic vs real buck tail? I personally don't like the feel of that fake plastic stuff but I have a bunch of it that could get used up. Is there anything practical about it vs real stuff. I'm thinking Saltwater flies and bucktails. 

I'm more of a jig tier than flies but I prefer natural bucktail over synthetics also......since the bucktail is hollow it has a different action that I prefer and I can have the hair flair more than synthetics.  Also on one tail you will have a variation of hair types...stiffer towards the base, finer toward the end and that's just the white parts.

Kingfish

will regular buck tail fall apart faster in the salt over time? I'm thinking the plastic stuff will last longer as far as corrosion goes. 

I will have to play around with action of both side by side in the pool. I really just need to use this stuff up! 

Good question and since I'm more of a freshwater fisherman I have limited comments on how well it will hold up in saltwater.... I assume the "kingfish"  handle is a little misleading...should be "kingfisher" for the bird and not the saltwater fish.  I'd tie a few of each and use them and make your own observations for durability.  I'd be surprised if bucktail was not the overall preference when you take everything into account but then again I prefer also wood plugs to plastic ones.58bc1bc36fc8c_deer010.thumb.JPG.fa23bc3a146aca65273aaf09f00cacdd.JPG

Kingfish, 

I as well prefer wooden baits, as well as regular buck tail. I messed around with the synthetics and can make it work, but I still prefer the real stuff. I think I'll tie a couple buck tail vs synthetic and see how they both hold up. 

On a side note I got the synthetic to do what I want when I straighten it with a comb. Those jigs look great btw! Thanks for the input!

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:05 PM, kingfish1 said:

I'm more of a jig tier than flies but I prefer natural bucktail over synthetics also......since the bucktail is hollow it has a different action that I prefer and I can have the hair flair more than synthetics.  Also on one tail you will have a variation of hair types...stiffer towards the base, finer toward the end and that's just the white parts.

I'm a jig tier and bucktail is not hollow, deer belly hair is. It is a common misconception, the only hair on a bucktail that is hollow are the hairs on the back and toward the bottom and it is only hollow in the base of those hairs. The difference between bucktail and synthetic aka-craft fur is the action, bucktail  has a subtle action, it is preferred over synthetic material because it mimics the profile of a minnow perfectly when wet. Synthetics should never be ruled out, they work better during warm water periods because they have more action and a fluid motion in the water.  Synthetics have an action similar to marabou but it doesn't compress as much so you get a slightly larger profile using synthetic material.

Smalljaw, 

Thanks for popping in! I never thought about the belly vs bucktail thing. basically synthetics don't even have to be hollow. as for the action, and Synthetics being better in warmer months, that will definitely give me something to think about. Thanks!

Another thing about natural bucktail is that it has a natural taper to it..Most synthetics don't...Hareline has just come out with a new synthetic bucktail that is all the craze but I can tell you..I'll take the natural any day!!..Nathan

• Like 1

On 3/8/2017 at 5:00 AM, smalljaw said:

I'm a jig tier and bucktail is not hollow, deer belly hair is. It is a common misconception, the only hair on a bucktail that is hollow are the hairs on the back and toward the bottom and it is only hollow in the base of those hairs. The difference between bucktail and synthetic aka-craft fur is the action, bucktail  has a subtle action, it is preferred over synthetic material because it mimics the profile of a minnow perfectly when wet. Synthetics should never be ruled out, they work better during warm water periods because they have more action and a fluid motion in the water.  Synthetics have an action similar to marabou but it doesn't compress as much so you get a slightly larger profile using synthetic material.

Where is this info from?  I was always taught that when the temps cool down, they have more hair grow, and it is all hollow.  Did a quick search and see the same thing.  I agree the bottom of the tail is more hollow. I hate the bottom because of the way it flairs out.

9 hours ago, BLT said:

Where is this info from?  I was always taught that when the temps cool down, they have more hair grow, and it is all hollow.  Did a quick search and see the same thing.  I agree the bottom of the tail is more hollow. I hate the bottom because of the way it flairs out.

The belly hair is hollow, on bucktail it is the base of the hair that is hollow and if you are tying smaller jigs that part is cut away of tied down under thread.  I started tying around 99 or 2000, I too thought bucktail was hollow which is what made it good but then I met Bob Clouser at fishing show. He gave me the information about the hair, he invented the Clouser deep minnow for smallmouth on the Susquehanna river, the same one I fish.

Bucktail certainly is hollow. Belly hair might be more buoyant, but it's strictly a matter of degree. There's more air in the butt ends than in the tips, but it's there, most tyers are well aware of it, and I don't care what Bob Clouser supposedly says on the subject.  Cut a piece of bucktail and a piece of sheep's wool, wet them down,  put them in a bowl of water, and see which one sinks. That's one of the reasons why  bucktail works so well on bendbacks. The buoyancy of the wing helps keep the fly swimming correctly.

IMG_5669.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:47 PM, Peterjay said:

Bucktail certainly is hollow. Belly hair might be more buoyant, but it's strictly a matter of degree. There's more air in the butt ends than in the tips, but it's there, most tyers are well aware of it, and I don't care what Bob Clouser supposedly says on the subject.  Cut a piece of bucktail and a piece of sheep's wool, wet them down,  put them in a bowl of water, and see which one sinks. That's one of the reasons why  bucktail works so well on bendbacks. The buoyancy of the wing helps keep the fly swimming correctly.

IMG_5669.jpg

Read this forum and then read Chris Helm's book of materials. The guy is one of the best deer hair tiers and his book explains the myth you pointed out as fact. http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=56707

Edited by smalljaw