Squach

Most Used color

Im a newbie at pouring my own plastics and i am wanting to know what liquid colors you guys use the most. I will be fishing mostley waters with around 6 foot visibilty sometimes more dirty than that ordering some colors soon and would like to know what colors i should order first thanks. I would also like to know some simple recipes to try to use thanks 

Edited by Squach

Welcome, and good luck.  Be advised that this addiction has NO CURE.  You can leave it for some time, but you will always come back to it.  LOL

To start, white, black, and the primary colors (red, yellow and blue) will do you well enough.  With those colors, you can mix your own colors.  But.......

I don't like to mix so white and black will catch fish more often then anything else.  Another common color is Chartreuse.  Add a good pumpkin and you can make some awesome lures.  Now, I will be interested in seeing what others suggest.

IMHO these are the colors I use a lot . Most of the lakes I fish are 3 ft or clearer . The clearest is about 12-14ft . I tend to stick with natural colors

1- green pumpkin 

2- watermelon blue flake

3-smoke

4- smoke with gold halo flake and black flake "natural shad"

5-white

6- black

7 chartreuse black flake 

Welcome.

Six feet of visibility is great (compared to what i usually fish)

That's just about the perfect amount of visibility--just stained enough to fool the fish easier.

I'd start with greens and browns (like the green pumpkin mentioned above).  Just google "green pumpkin plastic recipe fishing" and some good recipes will pop up.

Not sure if you are using an injector or hand pouring

As far as doing two tone/laminate colors with an injector,  the easiest way is to hand pour the first half, close the mold, then shoot the second half with the injector.

I prefer doing two tone/laminate colors; creating colors that aren't available commercially

Some good laminate colors for 6 foot of visibility (again, just google for recipes)

Green pumpkin/watermelon red

Green pumpkin/baby bass

scuppernog/motor oil red

The possibilities are endless.

Other method for shooting laminates (you really need two injectors for this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezsdOZXbVPU&t=195s

• Like 1

The colors I use most are X2 purple with .40 black flake in it.  Also oyster shell wich is just clear plastic with blue hi-lite powder and some black flake in it. Pro blue and that is just a light smoke with a little blue hi-lite powder.  Also you can make a good pearl white with just regular pearl powder in clear plastic.

• Like 1

I don't know that you got your question answered about powder colors.  They are a great non bleed option compared to liquid dyes, and it also adds a bit more opaqueness and pearl hints.

Most of us use dyes, liquid, but I love power options.  Glow colors are almost, if not always, powder.

You didn't  mention  a preferred species

for bass I like:

- junebug

- pumpkinseed

- green pumpkin

crappie:

-white

-chartreuse

-pink

havnt fished walleye in some years... But if I did, I'd use my crappie colors, except I'd replace pink with watermelon

thats just the basics.... You'll always end up going back for more!.... Glitter too!

• Like 1

I have the basic colors, but for something I use every time I fish I also have junebug, green pumpkin, watermelon etc.  I will  make those as light or as dark as I want them & sometimes add a drop or two of a basic color to tweak it if desired. I add whatever flake I want to  the junebug, watermelon & green pumpkin depending on when I'm using them wether clear & bright sunlight,  cloudy, dark or moonlight nights. They're really is no end to what you can do with a few bottles of colorant & glitter.