10 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

This patent always makes me smile, because the vortex drawing is rotating the wrong way :)

US07627979-20091208-D00002.png

So, if you redid the drawing with the vortex going in the opposite direction, could you get a new patent?

I'm just asking to be asking, because I think Ken Huddleston is a genius, and deserves to be paid for his work.  It is truly remarkable.

7 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I think Ken Huddleston is a genius, and deserves to be paid for his work.  It is truly remarkable.

I agree Mark, a gifted lure designer for sure.

I designed a similar bait to the above for a customer. He wanted the lure to sink level and have four easy to adjust at the manufacture stage for four rates of sink. This was a difficult design problem involving density and buoyancy calculations. I did solve the problem, and then I saw Ken's solution, The two were vertically identical. So I presume Mr H went through the same design process.

As for the tail patent; it is basically a glorified paddle-tail formed to resemble a real fish tail. It spills off a Kármán vortex street which causes the tails' movement, the same as it does on a paddle-tail. There is no innovation here and I believe the same idea was used before the patent was issued.

The guy knows lures well, but the fact that he drew the vortex diagram totally wrong, tells me that he knows little about vortex theory, and to call the tail a 'vortex tail' without understanding how vortices work, is a bit rich.

MrHuddleston's extensive lure designing abilities are not in question, certainly not by me.

Dave

• Like 1

Tell me if I'm wrong, you would want the vortex to be created on the sides, top or bottom of the bait. This is where the swim comes from. The vortex had already been created before what the drawing shows. As the water comes over or around the bait, the vortex is created before the the the tail area.

This drawing of the vortex maybe just for a visual reminder only. Not needing to be an exact drawing. It gives the idea that Mr. H had.

Dale

I guess we should stop building lures all together... I'm sure every one of us are infringing on a patent of some sort

Nonsense!... Make your swim baits... Sell them to your friends

People sell drugs every day, pretty sure that's illegal too... Just don't go all Scar Face, stepping on the feet of Mexican lure lords and snorting kilos of plastisol... And I bet you'll be fine 

• Like 2

Ha ha ha..patents.. This stuff changes constantly and is very complex..pattent if its granted only protects very specific thing..change that only slightly and you have a new creation. Its done all the time. Baits are too small run, but in larger commercial operations product is made in China,to roll out into large department stores.thousands of stores at once.often almost same or even same item from.same mold just different packaging..two end caps.with almost identical product.. Its race to get new product out and run with it while you can..6 months latter its old and outdated,and being replaced...in the case of art..it was common place to get an illustrator to draw a new work of art to "get it free of royalty" or in some ways remove any copyright. You'd see this in every newspaper,magazine,book etc,they would have illustrators on staff pumping out there own images ...patent, copyright, trademark.. All related but different...its partially in the eyes of the lawyers and courts and who has the best lawyers... American law isn't always about right and wrong....from an artistic standpoint.if your lure was hand made,and reproduced from hand made art would possibly be in its own category...

Edited by goldenshinner
Spelling

Late to the party on this one BUT this lure called the Nibbler has the exact SAME tail as the Hudd baits that are supposedly patented.  Tackle Industries has been selling these for about 10 years. I know the owner and asked him about this and he said he is making them identical to a bait in the 1920 of which Huddleston copies nearly identical. He laughed as the Hudd bait and welcomed being sued and also thought it was funny to watch Huddleston waste his money on suing others and lost.  "A fool and his ego will soon see their money go bye bye" is what he said! ha ha  Heard Ken wasted a ton of money on the law suits so far. Bet he has not sold enough baits to pay for this "patent" HA!  Also, if you (as the patent holder) do NOT go after all infringements and you do not enforce your patent, you loss it! These Nibblers are all over on eBay, Amazon, websites, etc. and have been for almost 10 years.  I think Ken got sick of wasting money on his copy of a 1920s bait... 

Tackle-Industries-NIBBLER-8-California-Rainbow-Trout-Swimbait.jpg

Edited by MrNoBody