goldenshinner

Getting more tear strength crappie baits

I'd like to hear thoughts on how to deal with tear strength in small baits...I'm new to soft plastics.only been playing with it for last year. I've used the do it brand and seemed strong. MF soft plastic was very nice soft at cost of strength...I've tried adding hardner but I'm not convinced how much difference it makes on small thin baits..I actually tried melting/ repouring saltwater plastics. Super hard plastic..I had trouble getting it to fill small cavities..should I blend saltwater plastic and soft..or what is solution?

Edited by goldenshinner
Spelling

I would agree that the Essential plastic from Do-it is very "durable" and "tough". And low odor.

Likewise, MF plastic floats and is also a good all around plastic. (I use it for all my drop shot baits)

If you want an additive that makes any plastic more durable and sink...the Do-it additive is super. But it affects the color (you can get a great watermelon brown...but forget about a really transparent  watermelon red flake!

Everything has its pluses and minuses and there is no perfect plastic for everything!

3 hours ago, goldenshinner said:

Is the Calhoun medium free of plasticizer?.. Also would anyone know if its as simple as mixing saltwater plastic with soft to get some intermediate characteristics

There isn't a plastisol out there that is free of plasticizer, it's kind of how they make the PVC soft. 

Not a Pro have hand poured plastic's for years.New to injecting .Have tried just about every plastic.That being said. Started out with Bears med,Worked well but ordering takes to long.best mold's "bears" but takes to long on order.Switched to Lurecraft 500 For making tubes' costly fast service and very helpful folks to deal with but makes a tough but flexible bait. Especially for tube's."makesd it easier to cut tails" No mixing right out of the jug.But costly.Tried Do-it's plastic worked great affordable,Fast service free shipping! great folks to deal with.But tares up to easy.Tried lureworks the same as Do-it ! Fast service friendly helpful folk's like the price of baitjunkies but need to mix!!"would be about same price.Just received Mf salt water plastic"good price about the same as lurcraft going to try some today.Fast service. Free shipping.We My Father and we crappie  fished a deep clear water lake .Yesterday fishing standing timber and brush piles.Caught over 60 fish we used one packaged "10"of home made crappie baits all day the only time we needed another bait is when we broke off in a tree or brush.The old saying is if its nit broke don't try to fix it. Probly will stay with Lurecraft 500.All my friends and neighbors ask for it in their plastic's because it is so durable but flexable and catches fish.

Edited by crappie fisherman

We've done allot of testing with Calhoun on our crappie & panfish baits. We caught over 65 white & yellow bass on one of our single gourmet grubs, It was looking rough but it was hanging in there. We're going to be testing some of the new polysol this weekend. It seems to have allot of stretch to it.

13 hours ago, hpssports said:

We've done allot of testing with Calhoun on our crappie & panfish baits. We caught over 65 white & yellow bass on one of our single gourmet grubs, It was looking rough but it was hanging in there. We're going to be testing some of the new polysol this weekend. It seems to have allot of stretch to it.

I would think after catching 65 crappies on one bait the plastic has done its job!  why look anywhere else?