MuskyGary

Balsa wood screw eyes

I run the screw eye in, back it out, put some runny super glue into the hole and us a small wire to get as much as possible down as far as possible.  The runny stuff soaks into the wood around the hole, and strengthens it.

Then, once the runny stuff has set,  I coat the screw eye with gap filling super glue and run it in again.

I've never had one fail.

Mark when you refer to "runny" & "gap filling" super glues what are they ie. a brand or viscosity rating ..iv'e looked at my local lumber stores & big box stores have yet to find a a viscosity rating for runny, medium or thick...of course I'm a tile contractor not a carpenter.. i know they are out there just not sure where..thanks, michel

Edited by surfk9
left a word out

1 hour ago, surfk9 said:

Mark when you refer to "runny" & "gap filling" super glues what are they ie. a brand or viscosity rating ..iv'e looked at my local lumber stores & big box stores have yet to find a a viscosity rating for runny, medium or thick...of course I'm a tile contractor not a carpenter.. i know they are out there just not sure where..thanks, michel

Michel,

I use ZAP thin and gap filling super glue.  I get it online.   Graphaids carries it in some locations.  I usually just google it when I run low, and find an online store that delivers.  Get a bottle of the accelerant to use to set the gap filling glue, once you have your hardware or lips in position.  Acetone is the solvent if you get your fingers stuck.

Mark, can't you thin down superglue? I don't use soft woods tho, but curious. Some people thin it down to put on the exterior of a wooden blank to seal it.   (i.e.; Dave).

I do understand why you would want it thin so it could penetrate into wood a tad, per your statement.

Dale

p.s., if the answer is yes would it be worthwhile to do this way or buy it your way. I would think that you have evolved to this for a reason.

Edited by DaleSW
Added to comment

No real need to thin super glue except to extend potential working time.  

Super glue readily soaks into balsa  based on the properties of the wood.  Th super glue rapidly wick up the glue by capillary action into open "pores" of the tracheids and trachea of the xylem.    Essentially you a packed array of straws, consisting of mainly very small diameters (tracheids) and larger straws (trachea).    Our baits are made with these running horizontally the length of the bait. 

Image result for picture of straws

Line ties and tail hook hangers will run parallel with the "straws".   One can visualize what occurs when you predrill and then screw the eye screw in and out.  You score open several of these "straws" allowing superglue to run into these areas and set up.   Horizontal you pass through and open up all those chambers for glue to fill/affix.  Best bet is use the super glue in low humidity as it is a moisture cure product.    Some of the epoxy boat rot repair products will use balsa to demonstrate the intrusion/wicking process extending 12 inches or more upon application up a plank of balsa.

SEM image of balsa wood below.   While these openings are small you have to remember their function.  They transport water/minerals.  

Balsa wood structure, SEM

Edited by Travis
  • Like 2

Well there is the scientist. Yes I knew that balsa is porous at a microscopic level and that's why it's so light. Which makes a bait made from balsa is so vulnerable to hydrodynamic pressures of water flowing around the bait.

I do like the time factor to allow you to get parts in place. However that has not been much of a problem for me. Thinning also bothers me due to a possibility of weaking the glue/epoxy bond. I would think if it is manufactured that way the glue should be comparable to a regular type.

With this being stated, harder woods, resins would have tighter pores and/or less pores/capillaries for the glue to bond with. 

Very nice post Travis.

Dale