Jj7leaf

Airbrushing fluorescence without white

I have been struggling getting the effect I want with fluorescents without using white as a base.  

Have done some sticks and spinner blades where I want to add a slash or spot of fluorescent chartreuse or green and I cannot get the true color without using a white base.

To date all of my paints are water based autoair and wicked,  that could be part of the struggle but I am searching for some resolution before I put money into more paints. 

Any suggestions on getting a true fluorescent dot without using a white undercoat for every dot?

Do I need to get away from waterbased?

thanks in advance. 

Jason

I'm not sure the type of paint would make a difference.  Perhaps using a cotton swab to make your dots would give you a thicker paint coating that would work better than an airbrush.  Or you could use one to make the white base.

Edited by BobP
  • Like 1

The only way I have ever gotten fluorescent paints to look really bright is with a base coat of white.

But, I have wondered if without a base coat they look brighter to fish than to us, since they see more into the UV portion of the spectrum than we do. I have a craw pattern that I paint fluorescent orange dots over dark green without a base coat. They look sort of orangish-brown, and not bright at all. But the smallmouth still eat it.

• Like 1