Les Young

What's causing this?

Made with 4 ounces plastic,6 drops spikeit violet 193. Heat forb1 minute & stir them 15 seconds & stir & then 15 seconds & stir.  No matter how I do it this colorant always turns red like this.  I've tried several different heat cycles & always the same. Sometimes way worse. I'm wondering if something is wrong with it as nothing else  does this whatsoever using the same exact cycle & this is red tinted in 1 minute. Thanks

IMG_0912.JPG

Edited by Les Young

Les,

For the life of me I can't see any red, but, then again, it's me.

I am only a hobby pourer, so there's a good chance someone here will know as lot more about what's happening than I do. 

I've found some colorant need to be added after the plastisol has reached 350, so it doesn't get too hot in the microwave.

Since I had some turn, I've been adding all flake and colorant after the plastisol has been initially cooked.  I add my flake first, stir it in to see how it affect the color, and then add colorant until I get what I want, or something close.

When I reheat, I only get up to 330+-, and the color seems to stay true.

Mark, may not be showing up good in pic. It is a chocolateish red instead of a violet look. Frank  tried it & said it turned on him at 380. I never got close to that today when I tried it. It did get to 340 though. If I use more colorant it get very red. I've tried colorant after heating & it still happens. It will be red tinted when taking out of mold even on the first shot & it gets worse as I shout more. I'm honestly wondering if this bottle has something wrong with it as nothing I do stops it whatsoever. 

Have you tried that color before with different results, or is this your first batch? 

Reason I ask is when I made junebug, I first used Lure Craft's purple and got that same look.  I mean IDENTICAL.....but usually after a few reheats. 

Changed to black grape and boom.....problem solved. 

btw.....I removed your duplicate post.....the one with no picture. 

Sounds like there's something in the way they get the violet color that makes it very heat sensitive.

I had red flake turn my watermelon to a brownish color, and the flake turned orange.

At his suggestion, I switched to Baitjunkys' colorant and flake, and the problem disappeared.

Maybe give Leonard at Baitjunkys a call, and see what he advises.

Les, That particular colour is VERY sensitive to being over heated. by the looks of it through a computer monitor I would have to say you are over heating it. 

What is the actual temp you are shooting at......not a guess, I need to know what the exact temp is.....if you can't answer that then you need a thermometer to verify and make sure you aren't getting it too hot. 

3 hours ago, BHLures said:

Looks like your glitter is curling which would suggest you're getting hotter than 350.

Completely missed that at first glance.  Pretty obvious if you actually LOOK at the picture.  LOL I was thinking color only. 

Good call. 

You guys are really good.  btw......I never used a thermometer.  I probably should have! 

Digital thermometer said 340. If I'm over heating why doesn't the glitter curl in any other colors I make?  Just doesn't make sense to me that I can shorten heat cycles & stir more often & it turns red. I honestly don't think I'm doing any thing wrong. I know if I can't get it figured out I'll thrash it as it's the only one I've had any problem whatsoever with including black grape & junebug 125. Just makes no sense to me. Thanks guys.

Here's something else to consider with that color. When you heat it or are working with it while hot it will turn a red/pinkish shade. It will then go back to its violet color when cool. It is one of those thermo shifting colors and it is normal. That being said what you are seeing in the picture is another unique phenomenon called "bronzing". This pigment at high levels will take on a reddish brown surface tone. The more colorant you add the more bronzing you will get. Try cutting back on the amount of colorant your adding. If the cut back formulation isnt dark enough for you while eliminating the surface bronze try adding a some black colorant to the recipe. 

Another possible alternative is to add your colorant and glitter after you heat the plastic. They both should disperse fine it hot plastic. This will decrease your dwell time for both glitter and colorant. Trying this will also allow you to visually see when your virgin plastic goes "clear and thin", meaning its pretty well fused. It will be easier to see if your cook time is scorching the plastic and thus maybe the pigment. However your best bet is to reduce your colorant amount to address your issue.

Mcluvin, thanks & I'll try that. I have heated plastic & added colorant & glitter afterwords. This is 6 drops in 4 ounces so I'll try 4 to see if it helps.I'll try  about a match head ofblack or blue as I  still want the violet look in the tails. The bronzing has to be it because like I said this has been the only colorant period that has done this & I've made some very off the wall colors for buddy's using all of the basic colors & with the colorants like all variations of purple, junebug, reds,blue,blacks, greens  whites etc and none have done anything remotely like this. Oh well back to the old mixing bench. Lol.  Thanks 

Edited by Les Young