curtisb

Jig Skirts -Spinnerbait Skirts?

The beauty of custom tackle is you make it how you want it. Most will use 2 to 3 tabs of material, I've made finesse style jigs with 1.5 tabs and even some micro jigs with 1 tab and less.  For baits from 1/4oz up to 3/8oz I use 2 tabs on average, for heavier heads I use 2.5 most of the time with 3 tabs only used for certain types and sizes but for the most part 2 tabs will work with most everything.

• Like 1

Curtis here's another tidbit.  This is what works for me.  I finally settled on this method a couple of years ago.  It has helped me reduce the amount of jigs I carry and gives me the option of customization on the spot.  Personally I have settled on 2.5 tabs for 90% of my fishing.  Secondly, I do a full bodied skirt on all jigs now using the 2.5 tabs!  Somedays the bass want bulkiness other days they want finesse.  You never know until they tell you.  By making my jigs full bodied from the get-go, if they want that great, good to go.  If not, I turn the jig upside down let the outer layer fall down over the head and cut it off with a pair of scissors.  Wallah!I now have a finesse jig.  Always best to have too much skirt than too little.  You can always trim down as much as you need.  And as for trimming buy yourself a pair of hair thinning scissors.  I have a pair that stay in my boat at all times.  They do not cut evenly, leaving your skirt a ragged uneven look.  This is what you want.  Here's the same jig in the pic both were tied full bodied.  The latter pic was shortly after I gave him a haircut with the thinning scissors turning him finesse style.  Hope this may help.

GEDC0025.JPG

• Like 2