zx250

Soft plastic and a respirator

Over the years on this forum many have commented that pouring without a respirator resulted in bloody noses, chronic coughing, severe headaches, blurred vision, etc.  These health issues were resolved when they started using a respirator during their pouring sessions...

Except for skin contact with hot liquid plastisol, in my mind the most serious incident which can occur is the overheating and burning of plastisol. As I understand it, if heated to the point of burning, it will release (among other things) chlorine gas, which can become hydrochloric acid if it comes in contact with moisture. If you inhale chlorine gas, the moisture present in the tissues of your nose, mouth, and lungs is sufficient to cause the reaction which can result in tissue damage and chemical pneumonia.

Now, I'm no chemical engineer, but no one will ever be able to convince me that during the normal heating process from room temperature to 300+ degrees, there is not some (no matter how small) chemical breakdown which produces potentially  harmful gaseous products that likely will cause health damage over time. Many will say, "I've been doing this for umpty-ump years without using a respirator and there's nothing wrong with me!" To those who can make that statement - more power to them, but I would rather err on the side of caution. Personally, I have enough health issues at 60+ years old that I don't want to risk additional problems. I want to protect whatever good health I may have remaining...  Protection of lungs, etc are worth the $30 investment  for a respirator.

Just as a quick reference, see "How can PVC affect my health?" at https://toxtowm.nlm.nih.gov/text_version/chemicals.php?id=84

All that being said, I personally believe the bottom line is:

A RESPIRATOR IS NOT AN ABSOLUTE NECESSITY, BUT RATHER PROTECTION FROM POSSIBLE INJURY.  THE CHOICE IS YOURS.

Just my $0.02...

Rick

Edited by rixon529
  • Like 1