troutgnat

Had an interesting idea today!

Gentlemen I was at the tackle bench today getting ready to pour when I realized I was low on a particular hook but knew I had a substitute that would work.  Well, 30 minutes and few cusswords later I was sitting there calling myself a dumb***.  Up until now I relied on my memory and past experience.  This hook works for that mold,  both of these hooks will work in this mold and so on and so forth.  That memorization method no longer works for me.  LOL.  And face the facts none of us could possibly memorize all the different hooks that go with all the different molds out there.   There's new brands/styles all the time. Wait, take that back!  No offense I know there are many of you out there with a lot of experience.  Maybe your memory may be that good :unsure:.   My thought was what if we started a spreadsheet of sorts that listed the particular mold, the hook it calls for, the hooks we know will substitute and whether the mold needed to modified for any hook listed.  Would anyone be interested in this?  Does anyone have this?  Is there a hook listing out there?  For instance, If your mold calls for Eagle Claw 570 use anyone of these hooks.  Let me know your thoughts please.

• Like 1

Apdriver is correct, Jon Barlow has done a great job of listing alternative hooks for molds. The other thing is that if you want to know if a certain hook will fit a certain mold, all you need to do is ask, and most of the time he goes above and beyond by letting you know which sizes will and won't work besides the sizes you asked for, a true asset to have. 

Barlows hook chart/selection/barlows have trhe size and brand hook listed and when you click on mold at the bottom of page list the hooks that can be used with that mold.Really like Barlow's is a great source for hooks.Really Really like the Gami,Mustad's black nickle do not like the price.Has really jumped the last few years.We have switched to Barlow's Sohumi black nickle hooks for just about every thing.A very good hook for the price.

Edited by crappie fisherman

I dont have a whole lot of experience casting jigs and spinnerbaits, etc.  I have only one jig mould that i like, but i found that the recommended hook style and size  didnt always work with my preferences.  

That being said, it is a Do-It walleye head mould, with Eagle Claw hooks recommended.  I prefer to upsize by two sizes and i sometimes cant get Eagle Claw hooks.  I took a Dremel tool with a small burr on it and enlarged the space for the hook eye.  That allows me to use other hooks as needed.  I dont remember having to enlarge for the hook bend/point.

• Like 1