Mad Moose Baits

Powder Painting Jig Heads w Swivels solution?

OK, on the way into work this morning I thought I would pour some horsehead jigs tonight. Now I know people use foil etc for the swivel so you can heat and paint the jighead and keep the swivel turning freely, but I thought "there has to be a better way" and that way would be a tube form over the swivel. Now heat shrink would work but then you have to cut it off etc and other soft materials would melt with the heat. Hard tubes wouldn't work either.

So here is my possible solution: pour some RTV silicone in a straw and let it cure. Cut it in lengths that will cover your swivel. Poke a hole through it lengthwise with a heavy needle. You can now slide it onto the swivel, heat up the bait, paint and then pinch the silicone to remove it. The main worry would be it will remove a bunch from the jig head itself too. The silicone can definitely handle the heat.

Please discuss!

• Like 2

That sure sounds like it may work, MadMoose. If you leave some gap between your RTV and the jighead, the powder would cover all your jighead and not leave a large spot uncovered. The problem I see with it is the straw will melt from the heat but a guy could fashion something from some small aluminum conduit, maybe?

That would work but why not use silicone tubing as it is readily available?

Check size you will need but it is available by ID from 1mm, 2mm, 3mm etc. 

I would recommend getting a size slightly smaller than the swivel . The tubing will stretch like a rubber band and be tight.

Add a common binder clip to the end of tube. This will seal the tube end and act as a handle to hold the jig while applying PP.

Remove clip when baking.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Apdriver said:

That sure sounds like it may work, MadMoose. If you leave some gap between your RTV and the jighead, the powder would cover all your jighead and not leave a large spot uncovered. The problem I see with it is the straw will melt from the heat but a guy could fashion something from some small aluminum conduit, maybe?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The straw is just the mold and wouldn't be used since, you are correct, it would melt.\

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fshng2 said:

That would work but why not use silicone tubing as it is readily available?

Check size you will need but it is available by ID from 1mm, 2mm, 3mm etc. 

I would recommend getting a size slightly smaller than the swivel . The tubing will stretch like a rubber band and be tight.

Add a common binder clip to the end of tube. This will seal the tube end and act as a handle to hold the jig while applying PP.

Remove clip when baking.

Even better...I didn't realize there was silicone tubing already made!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mad Moose Baits said:

So....now knowing the high heat silicone is readily available, this should work. 

Now ya know why I asked for a discussion! Thanks a ton TU Peeps!

NP...If you get a chance post results.

I am sure others here will like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Moose Baits said:

Can't post the pix right now but... IT WORKED!!! 

I got some 1mm ID silicone tubing. It is a little small so 1.5 or 2 mm would be best. I pushed it onto the swivel.

Heat w heat gun.

swish in paint.

turn tubing while it cools to keep the swivel free.

Yay.

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together?

18 minutes ago, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

Very nice.  I use Teflon rod and tube for things all the time, but for your application eh silicone is even better.  Good discussion everybody. 

Thanks Bob,  it's fun when the light bulbs start going off!

Edited by fshng2

I always head them then keep a cup of water and dip the swivel in the water for about 2 seconds, you will hear it sizzle as it cools, then dip the head in the paint.  the lead at that point is hot enough to get painted but the swivel has cooled enough the paint one stick.  works perfect!

1 hour ago, Kscatman76 said:

I always heat them then keep a cup of water and dip the swivel in the water for about 2 seconds, you will hear it sizzle as it cools, then dip the head in the paint.  the lead at that point is hot enough to get painted but the swivel has cooled enough the paint won't stick.  works perfect!

Do swivels transfer any water to powder paint?

If no water is transferred to the PP this is the most efficient way to do this.

if you only leave it there for one or two seconds the head from the swivel will make the water evaporate and you won't get any water at all in your paint.  all your doing is cooling the swivel part off just enough that the paint won't stick.  takes about 2 seconds max.  pony heads just to be a pain in my rear until I discovered this little trick now they come out perfect.  sometimes they get a little powder paint residue on them after dipping, this will either fall off or you can rub it with your fingers and it comes right off.  give it a try, I think you will like it and it's fast!

travis

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kscatman76 said:

if you only leave it there for one or two seconds the head from the swivel will make the water evaporate and you won't get any water at all in your paint.  all your doing is cooling the swivel part off just enough that the paint won't stick.  takes about 2 seconds max.  pony heads just to be a pain in my rear until I discovered this little trick now they come out perfect.  sometimes they get a little powder paint residue on them after dipping, this will either fall off or you can rub it with your fingers and it comes right off.  give it a try, I think you will like it and it's fast!

travis

Great tip, I like it....You da man!