SW Lures

Crackling

I was doing some reading and saw where this person used a white glue rather than store bought crackling solution. I was wondering if anybody uses glue and if so how do you apply and clean up? I know, how it's applied sounds dumb but I want to know how it's used totally, not assuming nothing.

Thanks,

Dale

Don't want to sidetrack thread dale or woodie,but always wondered the reason crackle was popular on older American and Canadian lures. Was it originally a suggestion of imitation of a specific prey like frogs or something ? Or was it just to give a broken irregular tone pattern ?. ....glider

Edited by gliders

No issue Gliders. It maybe the just to make a different look. Or the paint got pulled by a clear or something. Then they tried to duplicate the look.

The video refers to why I used it originally. I've played around with on baits, but not very much. I used paste on furniture. I see solutions being used by most then I read white glue being used. Being courious I thought that I would ask and see what the differences may be.

I have to do some traveling and may not be able to post for a few days. If so I'll read when I get back. 

Thanks for the replies,

Dale

crackle became popular here on the great lakes. the original was crackle frog pattern. from there it became a color for multiple companies. mid 1980,s the good lacquer based crackle was did-continued,for voc,s. now crackle pastes are different. years back a gallon was 25.00.

I was impatient with the crackle medium I bought. That's when I tried the glue. I spray my base color or color I want to shoe through the cracks, get the second color ready in the airbrush, brush on a liberal amount of glue, spray the color to be cracked quickly and a lot of it, then heat set with heat gun. I use the direction of the brush strokes to determine how it will crack (vertical strokes=mostly vertical cracks). I will guess for a completely random crack pattern that you should have enough glue on the lure that you can't see your brush strokes. As far as cleanup, I just throw the cheap brush away, and wipe up any spills.

I used white Elmers glue, and sprayed it on with my Badger siphon brush over a heat set base color.  I then sprayed the top color over the glue, and immediately began to hit it with the hair dryer.  

Spraying gave a more random, even pattern, and the size of the pattern was contolled+- by how thick the glue was applied.

I love Michael Orensteen's video!  Thanks for sharing the link.