porkmeatballs

Clear coating freshly poured resin baits

7 minutes ago, DingerBaits said:

Let them sit the full cure time, then wash with Dawn dish soap to get any release agent off of them. Use a high grade primer.

Would putting them in a vacuum chamber, like the ones used to pull gases out of soft plastics, help speed the process, or is it just that the chemicals continue to create gas as the resin cures over time?

• Like 1

Ok thanks! I actually don't have problems with paint adhesion, but I do have problems with my epoxy. It keeps pulling away in some areas, giving my baits a very ugly clear coat finish. Maybe I'm putting too little epoxy? Maybe something in the resin is causing this? I really have no idea how to get a nice even finish.

22 hours ago, porkmeatballs said:

A little update: I think it worked! There are only a fewer bubbles in the epoxy! However, I did put a lot more epoxy on it and some parts have a little bit too much now... Is there a way to put exactly the right amount of epoxy on my bait without over applying it?

Anglinarcher is right the best teacher is practice.

The best results I get are with Etec (Envirotec Lite).

You can get it at AC Moore with a 50% off coupon.

I put just a very small amount on the brush at a time and drag the epoxy from left to right until the lure is completly covered.

If you want you can go back with a dryer brush and remove any excess epoxy from line ties, hook hangers, around eye sockets etc.

Lastly put the lure on the turner where the E-tec continues to level out.

Because E-tec is thin and has a long open time the leveling process allows it to cover evenly.

Whatever epoxy you use put it on thin and choose one with enough open time for it to level out.

Good Luck.

Edited by fshng2
  • Like 1

When I was casting lures I let them sit in a warm room for a week before painting. 

BTW I tried painting the mold to get "preprimed" surfaces and it is terrible. The paint must be brushed on as the oils in the silicone make the sprays bead up. You end up with a lot of paint running to the bottom of the mold cavity. When you pop out the finished casting the bottom surface will be a thick rubbery layer of primer paint.

Edited by Sonny.Barile
  • Like 2

On 15/03/2017 at 0:02 PM, porkmeatballs said:

A little update: I think it worked! There are only a fewer bubbles in the epoxy! However, I did put a lot more epoxy on it and some parts have a little bit too much now... Is there a way to put exactly the right amount of epoxy on my bait without over applying it?

As others have mentioned, practice. But multiple thin layers can help. Keep the oils away from it between each coat or you'll keep getting fish eyes.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, porkmeatballs said:

Do I have to wait for each coat to completely dry before applying the next one?

Not necessarily. If I'm adding glitter or some sort of shimmer medium to the top coat the rotation on the lure turner can sometimes have the effect of throwing the glitter etc. to the outer edge of the top coat, particularly with thinner epoxies like e-tex, so I'll start with the glitter coat and then 8 hours later add a second clear coat. This might not be a problem on very slow spinning drying wheels. My motor is from a BBQ rotisserie and does a about 6 RPM (from memory).

However, for totally clear baits I let them cure completely between coats. This is because if I do get some fish eyes occurring I can't  be sure how bad the oil/dust/whatever contamination is and I wipe them down with alcohol after the first coat of epoxy. I usually end up doing 3 coats. Dont be nervous if the first or even the second coat dont look perfect just make sure you've brushed epoxy everywhere and the coats will build up.

Edited by Ces
spelling
  • Like 1

what epoxy are you using mate? A week is a long time to wait I reckon. have you considered switching to etex? It fully cures in 48-72 hours but I'm happy swimming mine after about 36 hours (final coat).

For straight epoxy, the RPM of your turner wont matter too much as long as its not spinning so fast as to throw all the epoxy to the outer edge.

Good luck with it. The glitter idea is not mine but a good one.

Cheers,

Ces.

• Like 1