CObasser

Powder coat pre heating

Have not been on here in a while but I use an aquarium air pump got my fluid bed works great very low current draw and I use a toaster oven to pour heat my jigs I use broil and do it long enough till I see the element is red by the reflection of the element on the tray they are on on so turn on the broil function and when you see the red glow take then out and start dipping them works good for me hopefully this helps

Good luck with that.  My toaster oven draws more than my heat gun.

When I use the toaster oven I heat about 6 heads  at a time.  Any more than that they get too cool for the paint to stick.  I only let them heat enough for a light powdery coat as I don't want them hot enough for a slick coat which could indicate too much paint.

Just in case your not aware  . A 15 amp circuit breaker will only carry  80% of that rated current and stay closed. with out tripping. So at 12 amps total current draw on that feed to your garage the breaker if working properly will protect the 14-2 wire from heating up and causing a fire.  Most heat guns are rated at 10 to 12 amp draw or  1000/1200 watts. A little ohms law applied shows 1000watts /115volts = 8.7 amps just for that appliance.  if your running lighting of  that one circuit as well you are close to the limit for that breaker.  Run a larger heat gun at say 1200 watts. /115= 10.5amps...leaves only 1.5 amps for your current limit before heating up the breaker to tripping point.  Lighting may already account for that if you only have the one dedicated circuit.   Toaster ovens are a high current device and usually rated at a full 12amps at 115volts . Check the rating on the name plate. and add up the total current draws for all the equipment that you want to run to do your painting. It sounds like you will have to run an extension cord from another power outlet to meet your demands. Then you can stick with painting the way you are comfortable with. Just make sure the chord length and rating matched or exceeds the current that you intend to use it on. Hope this helps

I should have also mentioned that when using the heat gun, I have a hi and low fan setting, and then different temp settings. When doing 1/8 to 1/2 oz. jigs....low setting, I heat the one up. then sit the next one down on top of the heat gun while coating the first one. You have to get the right temp set to the heat gun so when you get to that next one, it is at the right temp to put the next one there, and coat the one you just pulled off. It's like an assembly line lol. It takes a couple tries at getting the right temp setting and how long it takes you to coat a jig, be it 1 or 4 colors. When you get it right, it is fast. The gun I have from Harbor Freight has a good metal mesh on it to leave me sit the jigs on it w/o falling off.