Brad Baze

Air pockets and dents

I'm getting alot of air pockets (mostly in the tail section) and random dents in my injection senko style baits. I've tried holding pressure up to 10 seconds which has helped some but not totally . Actually having this problem with most of my molds . Is this a temperature issue or something else ?  Thanks , Brad

• Like 1

Air pockets in the tails indicate the you have air in your injector.

Dents are often the result of the plastic being too hot on a thick bodied bait. Take your plastic to 350 on the first heat up to make sure it has fully "changed state". Use a digital thermometer and make sure your plastic is completely stirred so all of it is 350! Let it cool to 310 (or less) and see if that helps on the dents. Holding pressure helps too.

Edited by DaBehr

20 hours ago, DaBehr said:

Air pockets in the tails indicate the you have air in your injector.

Dents are often the result of the plastic being too hot on a thick bodied bait. Take your plastic to 350 on the first heat up to make sure it has fully "changed state". Use a digital thermometer and make sure your plastic is completely stirred so all of it is 350! Let it cool to 310 (or less) and see if that helps on the dents. Holding pressure helps too.

Thanks for the info I will give that a try . I think you nailed it on getting air in the injector I have noticed that happening !

Air pockets in tails does not always mean air in the injector. I get them when I don't fully push on the injector at the end. Depending on the mold most fill from the lowest point up. But if there is a narrowing near the tail it will require q final push at the end to force out any air left in the tail.  On the comment of heating your plastic to 350, I never do this and never have a problem. Mine get to 330-335 and never any hotter. Getting it that hot put you real close to the point of no return( yellow plastic). You need to really know your temps if you get it that hot but in my opinion is not nessesary.  These comments come from shooting about 5-6 drums a year by hand and no magic machines. If you get an infrared temp guage make sure and stir while you are getting g a reading, strait from the microwave it will have hot spots. Good luck. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2017 at 5:13 PM, Brad Baze said:

I'm getting alot of air pockets (mostly in the tail section) and random dents in my injection senko style baits. I've tried holding pressure up to 10 seconds which has helped some but not totally . Actually having this problem with most of my molds . Is this a temperature issue or something else ?  Thanks , Brad

hold the pressure for 25 seconds and that will cure most of your problems if not you need to open up your sprew holes.