Bassinman200

Inline Spinnerbait???

A few years back I was working in my bro-in-law's bait/tacle/gun shop and while buil;ding some bass rods for customers, I got a wild idea, putting a cleviced blade in front of a spinnerbait head to give more flash on an In-Line type scenario. I started by molding a ball jig head with barb, running the wire straight up the pour hole connected to the hook inside the mold. When it came out, It was perfect. All I had to do was snip the sprue cone off the top from around the wire, and feed it off the top of the wire and I had a round head in-line spinner ready for a blade. I painted applied eyes, and epoxy coated the head. When dry, I put on a brass bead, a clevis with a #1 Indiana blade and another bead. I bent the shaft into an R bend, added a tandem Indiana set, a trailer and midget skirt, and had an in-line / spinnerbait in 1/16 oz. Now I am seeing them in cataloges as 'Crappie Spinners' with round heads just like I made in my Do-It 2 cavity mini jig mold 12 years ago, but they still haven't put the spinner at the head.

JimP,

Correct. And as soon as I get to my desktop puter, I will draw it out on the Paint program, download it to flash drive, and post it from this tablet. I don't have a drawing program on this tablet, and I lost internet service at my house, so I come next door to my sister's house to use her's. I was thinking about a patent, but my cousin is an attorney and said it was just a combination of two already patented items and not worth the trouble. Be back at you soon.

Well, I didn't get over to the computer, so I made a 3rd grader type sketch because I'm not an artist. Anyway, here is the concept, and I have used them while fishing and they catch fish. Only thing to advise is to be sure that your lower clevis is far enough away from the head to allow free turning, and so too far from the head that it will strike the upper blade on the upper clivis.

IMG_20170314_111127.jpg

Edited by Bassinman200

Well, it just shows ta go ya that great minds think alike. I (thought) I came up with this back in 2004, but according to my cousin, I didn't. In the 1970's, my Uncle designed a sort of 'reverse bear trap' hooking mechanism that sprung open instead of closed from the rear of a topwater or diving plug. Same cousin researched that one for him and found that the lure never was mass produced, but patent was applied and granted in 1909 and again in 1916 with some improvement or the other.

But, whenever I make my own personal spinnerbaits for myself or friends, half of them get the extra blade, usually a Colorado or Indiana because at times it seems to play a role in a larger creel. Of course at other times, nothing in my 6 tackle boxes helps.

"Mad Moose Baits", is that the name of your company? Mine is "Snyper Custom Rod & Lure".  Building both since 1972. I started with SNIPER with an 'I' as usual, but somebody had a hissy fit so I changed it. Hey, back in '72 we couldn't research such things on the internet, we had to pay attornys and such. Anyway, haven't had any problems since the change in '74. Seems like it was the correct decision since these days the majority don't know proper English anyway - like, "It's importnint", and "He a bad one", etc.  Still a one man band here though.

The only issue I see with your design is that the weight of the lure is inline with the tie point. With the added weight of the upper spinner blades, I would think that the lure would roll to the side or even upside down. If you wanted to have the upper blades above the lure body (to prevent snagging) I would make the body profile more like a keel weight to counter balance the weight of the upper spinner blades.

Budman

Of course, you are correct. It was my fault for not putting a bend slightly forward of the fartherst front bead in the illustration. I was primarily concerned with the extra blade's position as requested by another member. As you stated, this would roll over itself as is depicted, yet I did say that it worked (performed and caught fish). I do regret not having the actual prototype with me to use as a template, since it does have the bend which we know must be included, and I certainly would have placed this bend in the sketch. another solution, which I also thought plausable, would be to possibly place 1/4 or less of the head weight above the lure center and 3/4 or more of the weight below the lure center. I have never done a mold in that fashion, do you suppose it would work, and even with a straight shaft like depicted above?