jigtier

Two New Pattern Pike Bucktails

I tie a lot of jigs and tying the same patterns over and over gets pretty boring.

While working on orders I had a couple of ideas and decided to put the work aside and create something different from the rabbit strip jigs I routinely make. The jigs in the photo are basic bucktails with some feathers and flashabou. They are Pike jigs so I tied them fairly long, approx. six inches. Feel Free to comment and use the patterns if you'd like

IMG_2852.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fshng2 said:

I like em.. first class work work jigtierje

I assume you do all your work, what mold do you use?

I could be wrong, but it look like a Do-it teardrop jig.  Heavy hook I would guess for Pike. Wish they had that mold in a 60 instead of a 90 jig hook.

• Like 1

Nothing "wrong" with it. I look at a 90 more for being on a boat and straight dropping, and a  60 or less for casting from like a jetty at a beach. The presentation is different.  The 90 will nose down more while "jetty jigging" lol.

Kind of like those 4oz. spros in my sig picture, I would use them for vertical drops because of where the eye is and the balance of the jig.

Edited by BLT

Yes, you are right. A Do-It Teardrop head. I quit using their Minnow head mold because in order for me to get the collar looking like I wanted it to when the jig was finished I filed the lead down to less than half of its original diameter. The Teardrop head is more forgiving. I can have the thread creep up the backside of the head as much or as little as I want in order to get the collar ties length to my liking. I also use Do-It Round, Sparky, Walleye, Football, and Aspirin heads for 90% of my tying. Occasionally I will use a Bullet nose/Mushroom head mold.