markh28

Paint on casting spoons

I want to make some casting spoons, such as the 5 of diamonds, and I want the finish to be comparable to store bought.  With my store bought spoon, I cannot scratch the paint with my fingernail.  But I have tried several paints and clear-coats, and on all of them, I can easily scratch the paint off.

I have used vinyl paint, rattle can enamel and powder.  The only one I cant really scratch is powder, but the spoons don't fit in my fluid bed and I don't want both sides covered with paint.

The clears I have used were Lacquer Spray (can), Acrylic Spray (can), CS Seal Coat (left brush marks), Triple Thick (brush marks), and Sallys.  They either bubble the paint underneath or do not provide adequate protection,

Someone in China has figured it out, what am I doing wrong?

I agree with 21xdc, it's the topcoat not the paint.  I haven't tried KBS moisture cured urethane yet but often use Dick Nite S81, which is formulated specifically for coating Dick Nite spoons.  In other words, if you want a true factory spoon finish, this is one.  Dick Nite paints spoons with lacquer paint that he also sells.  TU members get a discount.

I've painted spoons with acrylic water based airbrush paint and dipped them in S81, and have been very happy with the results.  That eliminated the environmental risk of spraying solvent based lacquers and the topcoat seemed to penetrate the paint and make a good bond with the spoon metal underneath.  Don't know whether KBS has this penetrating quality since I haven't tried it.

On 3/16/2017 at 0:20 PM, Basseducer said:

I spray powder paint on spinner blades and spoons all the time. You get a thin even coat and you can spray only one side if you like.

Do you get any puddling of PC on end product after baking?

Thanks for the info.

Been wondering how well this would work to spray the backs of bucktail jigs a darker contrasting color of PP?