Joelh831

Materials for prototype

Hey guys just wanted to see, what's the easiest material to work with when marking a prototype swimbait to make a silicon mold out of. To make open pour swimbaits baits. Do most people hand carve out of wood or other soft materials I want to make it look nice and smoth. With no imperfections and what's the best method of doing this with minimal tools. 

Thanks 

I do not limit myself to a single material, I imagine the shape and choose materials that suit what I am trying to achieve as simply as possible.

Here are pics of a prototype idea master that I made several years ago. The body is carved softwood, similar to balsa and very easy to carve. The paddle and web are made of shaped polycarbonate sheet. The whole thing is glued together with CA glue and coated with D2T epoxy and rotated for a smooth finish, strength and integrity.

The thin tail section could have been made from dowel, and the separate parts could have been filled with filler for smooth transitions, but that was not necessary with this 2” swim-bait.

The final master was strong enough to withstand molding in a one piece silicone pipe-mold, which was split with a razor for access.

Dave

doublewaggle 3452.jpg

doublewaggle 3456.jpg

doublewaggle 3457.jpg

• Like 1