Sudd

Powder pain problem

2 hours ago, BLT said:

First thing I would try, less heat.  Didn't get any oil or grease on any. did you?

No oil or grease, I'm just thinking I heated them too much since I saw them smoking. I'm just gonna reheat re dip and re bake those that done that.

7 hours ago, cadman said:

You have the jig too hot if your jig is smoking after you apply the powder to it. You probably should strip them, because if you bake them, the paint will drip down causing teardrops to form.

They turned out fine after re painting. I bake my Jigs with the head standing up. These are the first ones I've had do this, but they were smaller weights, so probably just kept them over heat to long. All is well now, Thanks guys!

Sudd I saw your post in hard baits and came over here to answer your question. Cadman is right about the heat, when I started I did the same thing for awhile. Even if the baits looks good the adhesive properties may not be there or maybe the baits will be fine. If you do have chipping or flaking off consider lesson learnt.

2 hours ago, mark poulson said:

What does baking actually do to powder coat paint to make it so much stronger?  Does it "kick over" like plastisol does at 350?

Mark, the answer is simply this. Powder curing or baking depends upon heat to cross link its chemical properties. Baking the jigs makes the powder paint adhere to the surface it is applied to.  If you take 2 jigs and paint them then you bake one, the baked one if done correctly will not chip.

• Like 2

When I first started doing jigs I didnt bake them. They would chip often. Once I started baking I notice several changes. Chipping stopped, the powder didn't seem as grainy, seemed to level out better and the powder was much more shiny. Then I made a fluid bed, bought a brush and leveling issues became a thing of the past.

As Cadman stated, but you can see the change in the structure of the surface.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2017 at 1:58 PM, cadman said:

Mark, the answer is simply this. Powder curing or baking depends upon heat to cross link its chemical properties. Baking the jigs makes the powder paint adhere to the surface it is applied to.  If you take 2 jigs and paint them then you bake one, the baked one if done correctly will not chip.

Thanks Ted.  I have always baked my jigs, but I wondered what it actually did to the powder paint.

On 3/19/2017 at 1:02 AM, Sudd said:

For you guys that use heat guns, do you use the high or low setting?

I use a multi heat digital heat gun. This way you can do multiple colors without burning  the paint, or you can try it on high to start and then go to low for additional colors.

• Like 1