finlander

Glo paints

I've had all my glo paint dry out after a year+-.

I have several jars of glo powder that are five+- years old and are still good.

I won't buy the paint anymore.  I mix some of the powder into a jar of Createx trans. base, and it sprays on fine with my air brush.

I also add the glo power to clear nail polish, and it works great for cranks and blades.

14 minutes ago, finlander said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I never

knew what to add to the powder. I wondered if there was another source for powders/paints that had popped up in the few years I have been away from lure making...

I only buy from Glonation.  That's where I got the powder, too.  This is what I bought:

https://www.glonation.com/glow-in-the-dark-products/neutral-glow-powders.html

This is available now, but I haven't  used it so far:

https://www.glonation.com/glow-in-the-dark-products/triple-glow-powders.html

I haven't found a reliable glow paint either, so I started mixing my own.  A little powder goes a long ways.  I started with .5 ounces of powder to 2 ounces of paint.  Was my best perform glow paint this year.  Figured if .5 is good, 1 ounce is better.  Wrong.....Everything congealed and I wasted a lot of powder and paint. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2017 at 8:23 AM, drdmh said:

I haven't found a reliable glow paint either, so I started mixing my own.  A little powder goes a long ways.  I started with .5 ounces of powder to 2 ounces of paint.  Was my best perform glow paint this year.  Figured if .5 is good, 1 ounce is better.  Wrong.....Everything congealed and I wasted a lot of powder and paint. 

Adding some clear powder paint has really helped me when adding glow to powder coats. 

I looked at the GlonNation site recently and they give info on how long the respective glo color paints will emit light.  If I remember, the greenish white lasts the longest at 10-12 hours.  The amount of light emitted depends entirely on how many and how large the suspended glow particles are.  I have only used their acrylic glow green paint, which had lots of particles and was very grainy - too grainy to pass through an airbrush.  But it really glowed like crazy.  So there are trade offs depending on how you want to apply it vs particle size vs the amount of glow you get.

Edited by BobP

You can also spray light fluorescent colors, then mix GID powder in the topcoat. I bought the 7 pack from glow nation. sometimes I dab a spot of darker GID /epoxy mix on the top. It makes a great washed out effect on jigs.  Createx also makes a glow base and flo white, but I have not tried it. It is mostly sold in auto paint sources.

2 hours ago, Jj7leaf said:

Does glonation glow powder have to be added to clear powder paint or will their powder work as a powder paint on a heated jig head?

i am looking for a good glow heat/dip powder paint.  

Pro-tec has 8 colors that glow.

For best results coat with white then bake before top coating with glow color.  Glow colors tend to be a bit transparent.

• Like 1

I was using a white base but did not completely bake it just reheated it and sprayed the glow. 

I will give that a try, 

my issue is that it didn't seem to glow like I wanted, very dull, tried white, yellow and green, none seem to glow like commercial glow lures. 

In my search I found where someone suggested a clear over the glow was needed? I can't figure out why that would be needed but was going to try that as well. 

Thanks for any help

jason

3 hours ago, Jj7leaf said:

I was using a white base but did not completely bake it just reheated it and sprayed the glow. 

I will give that a try, 

my issue is that it didn't seem to glow like I wanted, very dull, tried white, yellow and green, none seem to glow like commercial glow lures. 

In my search I found where someone suggested a clear over the glow was needed? I can't figure out why that would be needed but was going to try that as well. 

Thanks for any help

jason

I just found out Pro-Tec sells Super Glow Powder.  It's suppose to be 5X brighter.

I found this on tjstackle.com

Pro-Tec Super Glow Powder Paint

The Super Glow's are here!! There is no better powder paint than the Pro-Tec brand. Pro-Tec's new Super Glow powder paint has a brighter, longer lasting glow than standard glow powder paints with the same easy, no-mess application. Pro-Tec Super Glow Paint can be used as a single coat cover or over a white base coat. The manufacturers indicated the there is a longer, brighter glow if you use a white base coat. Pictures with a white base coat are displayed below.  Available in 6 different super glow colors.

Charging Tips:

Super Glow paints will need to be charged for an extended period of time to achieve maximum glow duration.  30 minutes minimum.

The best lighting sources for charging Super Glow powder paints are those that are rich in the ultraviolet and blue light spectrum. In order of effectiveness, these are sunlight, quartz-halogen, mercury vapor, black light, fluorescent, and least effective, incandescent.

Edited by fshng2

Glow paints rely on a certain thickness to properly charge. It may be you don't have a thick enough layer.  Try dipping instead.  A UV light may also help, or leave the lures in bright sunlight for a few hours. A clear coat would only serve to protect the glow layer, but if the clear coat has a UV protection component built into it, the glow paint won't charge properly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StriperCandy said:

Glow paints rely on a certain thickness to properly charge. It may be you don't have a thick enough layer.  Try dipping instead.  A UV light may also help, or leave the lures in bright sunlight for a few hours. A clear coat would only serve to protect the glow layer, but if the clear coat has a UV protection component built into it, the glow paint won't charge properly.

Striped Candy thanks for posting "Glow paints rely on a certain thickness to properly charge. It may be you don't have a thick enough layer."

I watched a video on you tube today where they were dipping glow paint 3X.  They also said any more than 3X and the benefit is diminished.  I wasn't sure why they were dipping so much, but what you said explain it.