shade_skyhi

Clear coat for acrylic and

Hello fellow fishermen and builders.

I have been make wood top water baits by hand for 16 years and I handpainted with acrylics and use rattle cans.

I have been asked by a good friend to make 40 to 50 lures for some kids in welfare and governmental agencies to give them a start into fishing and he wants simple lures and not a lot of expense.

I have  enough wood but not enough supplies and ideas what I want to ask is do you have know of an inexpensive clear coat I can use on acrylic and enamel painted wood  lures that's pretty durable? I have 2 to 3 weeks to do this and he wants me to donate them I'm on a monthly check so I'm  thin on money so I need something inexpensive and if anyone has anything they are on overstocked on or you don't use anymore  likw hooks...screweyes..etc. that you would trade or sell fairly cheap please help me I will even give you recognition.  I'm needing anything.

I'm building around what I got so they will have an assortment of lures.thanks in advance but if this is not allowed I apologize for posting many thanks and have a great weekend....

Edited by shade_skyhi

honestly, if I were trying to get kids interested in fishing, I'd start with soft plastic lures instead of hard baits.  Cheaper, less casting skill required to fish, safer, and probably better fish catchers than crankbaits thrown by a bunch of inexperienced kids.  I'd have visions of kids hooking themselves, each other, the nearest tree, and anyone trying to teach them how to fish.  There's a lot to said for the ole Texas rig.  It catches fish and seldom results in trips to the emergency room.

That said, I'd be willing to donate some finished crankbaits if you are hell bent on that course of action.  With the understanding that you, not me, are responsible for the resulting mayhem.  If so, pm me.

a can of spar urethane varnish would probably be a cost effective solution for topcoating.  Not ideal, imo, but workable.

Edited by BobP
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BobP said:

honestly, if I were trying to get kids interested in fishing, I'd start with soft plastic lures instead of hard baits.  Cheaper, less casting skill required to fish, safer, and probably better fish catchers than crankbaits thrown by a bunch of inexperienced kids.  I'd have visions of kids hooking themselves, each other, the nearest tree, and anyone trying to teach them how to fish.  There's a lot to said for the ole Texas rig.  It catches fish and seldom results in trips to the emergency room.

That said, I'd be willing to donate some finished crankbaits if you are hell bent on that course of action.  With the understanding that you, not me, are responsible for the resulting mayhem.  If so, pm me.

a can of spar urethane varnish would probably be a cost effective solution for topcoating.  Not ideal, imo, but workable.

Sir I talked to him and tried to convince him a cheaper way to do this because I didn't have enough hardware and he wants them like we discussed you bring up a good point and I believe you are right about this but he is wanting them anyway I can do it so as correct as you are I'm going to give him the same proclamation and tell him I am no longer responsible for anything that happens after they leave my sight thank you for the insight I appreciate it very very much.......