fishnart

Epoxy on sharp edges..a little help

Hey guys we all know that epoxy doesn't like sharp edges. Do you guys have any tricks to help the epoxy from being so thin . Specifically I paint bull shad swimbaits and the edges at thier joints are very sharp. I can imagine that it will be very easy for an issue to arrise and the epoxy start peeling away. Hope this makes sense?? So what do you guys do when you epoxy sharp edges. Right now I'm using Art Resin. I'm thinking of before I epoxy to put a bead of glue, like super glue or something on the edge before I epoxy it. Maybe small amount of clear nail polish,,,I don't know, just something extra to keep the edges in good shape. 

Thanks in advance, hope all ya'll are doing well

You might try any of those remedies, or you can simply sand the sharp edges down to get a small radius.  There's really no way to prevent epoxy from drawing away from a sharp edge - it just goes with the territory.

Edited by BobP
  • Like 2

In the past I've brushed D2T onto problem areas and let it cure, before I coated the whole bait.  I think the smaller amount of epoxy didn't pull itself off the sharper edges, like a big amount over the entire bait would.

I used D2T to coat the inside faces of my jointed swimbait sections, and lapped it out onto the faces 1/4"+-.  Once it had cured overnight, I could put the lure together, put it on my lure turner, and coat the faces with Etex.  The 1/4" overlap gave the two epoxies a good bond, and I never had a pull away at a joint edge.