lphc

Smallmouth colors

This is a question that is as big as the condition types. I like white, chartreuse in muddier water and browns, reds in clear waters. All with varying amounts of some type of flash.  Depth is a condition to keep in mind also.

Shape and size is a thought to think about too. What does your waters have for forage for the Smallies? The wives tail of bigger bait for bigger fish doesnt hold water most of the time. I do eat some fish that I catch (shhh, don't tell). I pay great attention to what a specie eats.

That's my answer, know what is happening where you fish. After some years of fishing I know what works best. If I'm in a new area I keep close tabs on water conditions. I'm doing this now for a fishing trip I have planned even tho I'm set up for any conditions only because I have fish there before. Yes it's for Smallies, Walleye and Stripers. I'm planning on catching a record!!  :whistle:

I know this is an general answer but think about what I have wrote.

Dale

smallies eat the same forage as largemouths but they have a more inquisitive and aggressive attitude.  I don't throw wild colors at largemouths but bright patterns like chartreuse/orange back, clown, fire tiger, etc are productive smallmouth colors for good reason.  Not saying more natural muted patterns won't work too, but you can expand the palette.

• Like 1

For jerk baits, ghost colors are especially effective. Purple backs (top) works well in our area due to the Emerald Shiners. A black top is also very effective. My son will only fish jerk baits with a green top. All with the rest of the bait unpainted.

Last year a purple top and chartreuse bottom ( both very light) with a unpainted center was the #1 choice for poppers, jerk baits and square bills. Clown also works well for some unknown reason on top water baits.

It's kinda pitiful that all I can ever manage to catch are smallies. Mainly location does that for me. This usually works year round for me: 

Super clear water: natural natural natural

Clear: chrome/blue 

Stained clear: fire tiger. Mainly greens 

Stained/tannic: blue/chartreuse

Dark Stained to muddy: chartreuse 

Chocolate milk: yellow, pink, anything candy that is loud and stands out.  

This works for me on crankbaits. Usually natural plastics work year round, and when all else fails a chartreuse white willow/Colorado spinner bait works. 

BobP is right about what they eat but the size of the forage is important too. Although I've seen fish dead because they tried to take down another one bigger than they should have.

I didn't put this in my last post because we are in hard baits. I use a chartreuse buzz bait in water no deeper than 6' and with large rock bottom, early in the morning and late in the evening. Sometimes it really don't matter either way.

Dale