Cranky baits customs

Just started airbrushing cranks

New to the site. But have used it several times when serching  forums. Lots of info on here.

So I have recently started painting some crankbaits and thought I'd post a few picks and see what everyone thinks.  Just looking for opinions on what might be improved on and such. I'm shooting Apple barrel paint (im prepaired to catch greef on this one) with a badger krome and covering with devcon 2 ton epxoy. Seems to be working well. But anyhow,.... opinions welcome. 

IMG_20170318_061610804.jpg

IMG_20170318_061430809.jpg

IMG_20170314_135551590.jpg

IMG_20170313_230719795.jpg

IMG_20170312_225159701.jpg

IMG_20170309_221906239.jpg

IMG_20170309_221747386.jpg

Since you are asking about your technique I don't think the powers to be will say something about this thread (aka, Nathan). We normally post pics in the gallery. Any pics other then a visual reference.

That being stated, you are doing just fine. I don't exactly know how much you have painted in the past. I would not put a paint line thru a kill spot. The first two is fine and look nice but I would put a gill plate, kill spot, fins or something to jazz them up a little. See that's the problem, that's my taste. Your technique is fine for someone beginning.

To me for looking at pics with clear coates/top coating I have trouble seeing details. These coats kinda makes paint schemes blend together, if that make sense. Paint work to me without clears can be seen better. It's a fine line between just enough details and over doing to me.

You are doing fine.

Just my:twocents:,

Dale

Adding this, try different things for stencils. I use and like thin hard card board, like from a drink can box (separator piece). The reason is it will hold up and I can pick at it and make it irregular. This makes lines look more natural. End result is does the bait catch fish......these should!

Dale

Thanks for the reply and advice. I've only been painting a couple of weeks now so im real new to this whole painting thing. Now the first to were done by looking at a picture of an alewife and blue back herring. No dots or anything on those  fish. The baits themselves are very bland but so are the real fish but like you said  some fins and a gill would have helped here didn't even thing about that. Got to get those stencils made up.  I am also trying to start selling  baits locally  as well. I don't know of many people around me that paint.  so I guess the old saying of catch the fisherman  not the fish holds just as true in the realm of custom painting.  Thanks again for the tips, i'll work on that detail.

Just a  side thought. If you or anyone does the vacuum stenciling thing. I have fond some good stuff to use (Cheap). If you have a dollar tree around, they have these thin plastic cutting boards. I've seen two different kinds in there, its the thinnest of the two. They make great stencils you can vacuum and cut them. Best part is you get two for a buck.

I like your work. So much of this is personal preference - the real standard is whether you got what you were trying to get. Often I paint something that friends all say it's beautiful, but I'm not happy because it wasn't what I was trying to do.

As an example, on your bluegills, I would have brought the color from the back down further onto the shoulders. That's how most commercially painted baits are. But maybe you were trying to get one with less of the back color and more of the side color.

But they look great!

If I were doing a "sexy shad" style bait, I would have used a stencil for the stripe and made it thinner. But I like what you have done with this one. I might have to try that sometime. It's a little wider stripe, but less defined at the edges.

Keep going. It can be addicting.

Good point about the eyes. Yet again. Attention to details. I thought they looked a little funny all bug eyed but I just went with it. Didn't even think about just painting in the eyes.  I have been wondering about different paints like the createx and wicked paints , being that they are transparent and I am working with all opaque paints. Opaque is not very forgiving. It's either to light or way to easy, to get to dark.  I am wondering how much it would help with blending colors especially with bluegill patterns. Those are the ones that I have the most trouble getting to look right. 

Thanks again for all the suggestions and compliments.  

• Like 1

Please don't take me wrong I like many of your baits. My opinion is just that my opion. I just don't want you to think that I am being to picky about your work. The trout scheme is my favorite actually. I'm a naturalist in my painting too. I'll go crazy once in awhile.

As far as frisket (spelling) stencils, I don't use them much anymore. I mainly paint hand shape wooden blanks now a days. Many here do tho, its good to pass on knowledge about new tools, parts etc that you find.

Thanks,

Dale

I completely agree with that. As long as your cranking. Details tend not to play as much a roll. Jerk baits and poppers are a bit different though. Bass have time to look at them. Even though they may not be the brightest ,they know there enviromemt. If that wasn't the case you could catch them on bare hooks.  But at the same time im also try to start a side business selling these things. I enjoy painting them so I thought ( why not). I can have some fun painting and make a buck. Details are to catch the fisherman not always the fish. That's why theres a plethora of colors at places like basspro. I tend to stick to natural colors. But every so often bass for some reason will hit baits that make you wonder (why?) But thanks for the compliment. It helps me know I'm headed in the right direction.