Pop

Iron Mike

Saw a fly today that is sold by Crazy Legz, it is call the "Iron Mike".  The clerk in the fly shop and myself could not figure how it was tied.  Does anyone know how to ty this fly? Looks like a great fly for either trout or crappie. Thanks, Pop

Found  clearer pictures tied in White, Black or Olive

www.fishusa.com/product/Lively-Legz-Iron-Mike-2-Pack

This is how I would tie it.

Hook: Streamer long shank  Size 8

Tail: Marabou

Body : Dubbing, Yarn or Chenille

Wing: Pearl Angel Hair (a very fine mylar)   tied on top

Side Cheeks: Mallard duck Flank Feathers

Head: Tungsten, etc depending on desired weight

Edited by fshng2

yeah, looks like mallard flank or maybe even woodduck flank (though not full plumage) on the cheeks or side of the wing. looks like a mylar collar (not seeing the body, I almost bet that that is spiraled forward as a rib through the chenille, yarn, or dubbing brushed body, then wrapped as a collar and tied off), and a very small amount of polar dubbing where its tied off and locks the bead in place.

13 minutes ago, MSUICEMAN said:

yeah, looks like mallard flank or maybe even woodduck flank (though not full plumage) on the cheeks or side of the wing. looks like a mylar collar (not seeing the body, I almost bet that that is spiraled forward as a rib through the chenille, yarn, or dubbing brushed body, then wrapped as a collar and tied off), and a very small amount of polar dubbing where its tied off and locks the bead in place.

You are right about the ribbing.

Good eye I didn't see that until you mentioned it.

Probably makes the body material stronger and adds a little more flash. 

I posted a picture of one I made in the Gallery today without the rib.

Edited by fshng2

On 3/21/2017 at 6:16 PM, Pop said:

Saw a fly today that is sold by Crazy Legz, it is call the "Iron Mike".  The clerk in the fly shop and myself could not figure how it was tied.  Does anyone know how to ty this fly? Looks like a great fly for either trout or crappie. Thanks, Pop

Pop try this link in Gallery

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/tags/iron mike streamer/

Posted Today, 09:32 PM

Ok, tore one apart today and still not sure of all material, but; here is my opinion and the opinion of the gentleman at the fly shop.   The hook is a nymph size 8, 3XL The tail is Maribou and Mallard, Rib-micro green flashabou, Body-LarvaLace, Under Wing and Over Wing of mallard, Collar is Micro Flashabou and ofcourse a black bead head.  White thread is used for tying.

The under wing and over wing are from the same feather. The maribou seems to be tied in almost to the bead head.  This gives the fly some bulk.  

I think this streamer will do a good job.

Thanks for everyone's help. Feed back is appreciated.

• Like 1