pool 4 gold

Airbrush issue

Having an issue getting my paasche double action gun to not back flow into my bottom feed paint and cause a blow out.  I changed out the needles thinking maybe that was the issue and it is not.  I noticed though if I have the head protecting cap and rear plastic cover over it's not as extreme but still does not discharge any paint or even water.  What am I missing here?  Last year was my first year with it and had zero issues like this.

Whenever I have trouble shooting with my air brush, I disassemble it completely and soak it overnight in Createx Air Brush Restorer (thank you Ben Siegel).  It's amazing how much old paint there is in my "clean' brush.

Here's the link to where I buy mine.  It's second down on the left.

http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=128

I put mine in a gasketed pickle jar, and it has lasted for a few years now.  The old paint just settles to the bottom, without ruining the restorer.  

If I have  a balky brush, or leave the paint in the cup a little too long, and don't want to stop painting to soak the brush overnight, 

I just wipe out what I can, wipe the needle, and back flush with water and a little dishwashing soap.  Then I put some restorer into the paint cup, and back flush with it a few times.   Another backflush with clean water, and, presto, I'm good to go.

• Like 3

here is something i found for you  

Problem: I have a suction type airbrush and am not getting paint out of the nozzle…I use the bottles that came with the brush…I am getting air, just no paint.
Solution: Check to make sure the vent hole in the lid is open, also make sure the pickup tube is not clogged or sitting flat on the bottom of the jar. Remove the lid and attach it back to the airbrush, stick the suction tube in a container of water and see if it sprays water. If it does then either the vent hole is plugged or the tube is sitting on the bottom of the jar. If it wont spray water, check the tube for a blockage, or the inlet for the tube into the bottom of the airbrush. Once these are clean you should be able to spray with ease. Also make sure your needle is sliding back and forth and not slipping in the needle lock nut.

Problem: No paint is coming out of my airbrush, I have gravity and bottom feed airbrush gun and I also notice bubbles in my bottle and cup.
Solution: Check Fluid nozzle, needle or nozzle cap. When any of these are clog you will get back feed back into cup or bottle.

• Like 1

X2 w/Mark. Sounds like you need a good detail cleaning. These brushes shoot very fine mist, so anything in the chambers that interfers/stops the process is not good.

If you haven't done any damage to the brush or you don't think it has any parts wore out it is most likely the cleaning. I do a detail cleaning about once a month. This depends on how much I paint. My daily clean up is similar to Mark's.

This makes life much more fun during painting.

Dale

After getting the responses from you guys I took a LED light to it and I belive it is need of a cleaning bad.  You can see multiple colors/layers of create waterbase.  I soaked it in soap/water and use the light wire air brush cleaner and seemed to not be enough.  What can a guy use safely to break free some of the old coats?

• Like 1

Createx Air Brush Restorer (thank you again Ben).

I get mine here.  It's the second item down on the left:

http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=128

Take your brush apart, and soak overnight.  I put my restorer in a glass pickle jar, and just put the brush parts right into the jar.

It will loosen all the old paint that's in your brush.

The next day I reassemble the brush, back flush with some of the restorer, and then flush with some clean water and a little dish washing liquid.   A drop of Iwata needle oil on the needle, to lube the tube, and I'm back in business.

The restorer lasts forever, even though there's old paint in it.  It just settles to the bottom.

I only do a complete break down and soak a couple of times a year.  The rest of the time, if I'm having a problem, just backflushing  with some restorer usually takes care of it.

Funny, I'm much better at cleaning my air brush than I am painting with it!

• Like 2

I've taken to flushing with 99% alcohol every once in a while when I'm painting. Then I run water through and continue.  The alcohol is very efficient at dissolving  acrylic paint, (Testor's airbrush paints). I first used it on an airbrush that was blocked, soaked the parts in alcohol overnight, cleaned everything with soap and water, and got my airbrush back.  I'll also wet a tooth brush with alcohol when it's going through the airbrush, and use the toothbrush to gently clean off the needle tip and nozzle when paint starts to build up. 

I use a suction brush too. To empty paint from the gun I put the cap on the brush and spray it out the back. Keep a bottle of clean water in one of your adapter jars. Use it between colors.in this manner: spray water - remove feed jar - keep spraying until flow stops - touch jar to the feed tube while spraying - repeat until spray is clear. This takes no time at all. It is much more effective than back-flushing.

Createx Airbrush Restorer is made to dissolve old paint.I use it for cleanup at the end o each session. I leave it in the brush with the cap and water jar on,  Any paint in there will be flushed out when I rinse with water at the start of the next session.  

If my brush starts acting up  during a session I use the water method  followed by restorer squeezed into the feed hole.  Occasionally the head needs to be removed  (possibly soaked in the compromise cup) and needle need to to be cleaned. DO NOT BEND IT.

If these things don't work, it could be the seal between the needle and the gun body. It is in front o the trigger assy and behind the paint feed. You normally won't see it - it's way back in there. Every brush has to have this seal.  If it is not air tight, the gun will suck air instead of paint and air will blow back into the paint supply.

• Like 1