HometownBait

Non-Lead Split Shot

Morning!  I'm a fellow tackle maker and long time subscriber to TU.  I've exhausted all of my local and Google potential trying to find a good source for bulk lead-free removable split shot.  Big company prices are OUTRAGEOUS, probably part of the reason lead got nixed ;) and I don't have the knowledge/capability to pour my own in any sort of quality or safety.  Any one know a tackle maker or small biz that deals in non-lead split shot?  There was a local gentleman called "zintin" that dealt in a centrifugal Cast  zinc/tin/bismuth/(antimony?) Alloy but I can't find him anywhere.  Hope the great minds here at TU can help!!!!  Thanks!

Tungsten (I think) is used for some jigs, wire baits forum would be another place to ask. The thing about tin, zinc etc. is that they loss a lot of density (weight). Brass is another good metal to use. Although brass and tungsten in split shots I have never seen. These metals are costly tho.

Dale

Hi Dale, thanks for your response!  I'm not sure how the tungsten powder would sit in a split shot unless it was swaged/sintered like bullets.  It's too dense to be centrifugal Cast or poured.  And brass, you got me... The problem I'm finding is the big companies  (eagle claw, water gremlin, etc.) aren't selling the bulk that im looking for.  And tin is something like .7 the density of lead and 16x the price.  Hoping to find someone out there with a solution.  As far as I know, bismuth and copper are the only workable metals with a density close to lead (besides silver, gold, and tungsten).

Mainly, I hate the tin because of how shiny it stays.  But the cost and density are horrible too.  What really scares me is I've searched and searched and only big business seems to make these "eco-friendly" sinkers... 

1. You can pour your own bismuth.  Bismuth melts at 521 degrees F where lead is at 621 degrees F.  As expected, it is a matter of supply.  Still, buying in bulk and makin your own is a good option.  I find it an excellent option, but a little brittle for split shot, especially removable split shot.
  2. Brass is over 1700 degrees, copper over 1800 degrees F, so unless you are a big buy with a great setup, forget it.
  3. Tin is the standard, melting at 450 degrees F, and it is flexible, but........ as indicated, it is light.
  4. Not for large production methods, at least that I know of, but mixing a 50% tungsten powder and 5 minute  epoxy mix and molding gives lead densities.  It is not flexible so a split shot is out of the question, but ....... I have made jigs out of it and it works well.
  • Like 1