DoubleT

System Three Syringes

Anyone have any experience with the System Three syringes that are sold at Woodcraft. They are listed as epoxy syringes but I notice that they have the black rubber seal on the plunger. It doesn't say in the details if the seal is silicone or not. The salesperson couldn't tell me either. I wouldn't think the seal would contain silicone. I would like to leave the syringes stored in the tops of the envirotex containers like many of you folks do. Thanks

On 3/24/2017 at 3:02 PM, benton B said:

I would go to mud hole and get the syringes made for rod finish.  

That sounds like the best thing to do. I found some in the mean time that are 10 ml in kroger pharmacy that dont have the silicone seal that I am going to try.  

On 3/24/2017 at 5:00 PM, MonteSS said:

Get a digital scale for $10

Its my understanding that Envirotex has to be mixed equal parts by volume. I weighed the two bottles that have the same amount in them and one of them weighed right much more than the other.

On 3/25/2017 at 1:01 AM, BobP said:

If the epoxy company sells the syringes for use with epoxy and the plunger gasket looks like black rubber....  I bet that's what it is.  If you're feeling hinky about it, drop a note to System Three and ask.

I decided not to go with the syringes they offer. I called and talked to a "technician" and they seemed to know about as much about the syringes as i did. They couldnt tell me if it contained silicone or not. 

7 hours ago, StriperCandy said:

What's this about storing the syringes in the tops of Envirotex containers? I'm tired of pouring it into cups, syringes would be neater!

The tips of the nozzles are tapered, so if you drill a hole in the top of each bottle that is just larger than the tip, but not as large as where the nozzle enters the syringe, you get a friction fit.  That way you can leave the nozzle in the top of the container, and just hold it tight to the bottle, turn the bottle over, and suck however much you want to mix into the syringe from the upside down bottle, and then turn it back over, set the bottle down, remove the syringe, and squeeze out the material into your mixing cup.

When I used a lot of E tex, I used the syringes, and could just mix a little more if I ran short while coating.

It is very convenient.

On 3/26/2017 at 8:35 AM, DoubleT said:

Its my understanding that Envirotex has to be mixed equal parts by volume. I weighed the two bottles that have the same amount in them and one of them weighed right much more than the other.

You are correct and one of the reasons why I have long believed  that ratio dispensing isn't the factor for improper set up on epoxy as frequently as many believe.

This has been mentioned a few times over the years but you have guys using scales .  With the correct information one could do the calculations to determine accurate weights but I don't think it is needed (well I do but for another reason below).   The few I have spoken with will  it works for me approach which is fine and more important a key observation.

We know the scale will result in incorrect proportions (if no calculations are being done) and most that have used epoxy for any length of time know you have to be "sloppy" with dispensing volume  to have issues.  Most are dispensing "approximate volumes" and  have no issues.    Based on experiences and information from others we can  be off a certain amount and still have the epoxy work.  

The important thing to remember this is chemistry and for the reaction to occur optimally the closer to the equal volumes the better.  It directly translates to the performance of the product (physical properties of the top coat).   We can be off on our mixture a certain percentage and still have a hard top coat  but not the technical specks given by the optimized procedure.  

Best bet to achieve the optimal properties is to use volume method  and measure using a a method one can negate volume loss on transfer.  Syringes are the easiest repeatable method that is economical.    

Now you just need to mix well..... ;)

• Like 1

As stated I use a scale and get a (what seems like) good cure every time mixing 9g of each.

I did notice I am using more hardener than resin by looking at the half empty bottles.

I think I will try 9g resin to 8g hardener by weight.

As I said works for me and very easy to do with no mess or cleanup. I reuse the cups and stirors many times.

Edited by MonteSS

I'm with you, Montee.  I know you're supposed to mix by volume, but I weigh mine and it works for me. I read somewhere the ratio was 10 parts resin to 9 parts hardner, similar to Montee's ratio. This is what I have used for several years with very few issues. I use a Harbor Freight scale($10) to weight the ratios and Walmart's 30/ $1 cheapie brushes for application and this works well for me when using epoxy. Nothing beats KBS dipped and then on a turner, killer finish.

5 minutes ago, DoubleT said:

Its my understanding that the silicone in the rubber seal doesn't agree with the solvents in the etex and can possibly cause some issues with the epoxy setting up or fish eyes. 

That's why I use Flex Coat syringes.  They are made for epoxy, and are silicone free.