BassJunky

How much salt, and when to add it?

I tried going through the cookbook but the first few I noticed with salt each listed to add "salt to consistency"  but I was wondering if there was a rule of thumb when it came to salt.  For every cup of plastic add this ___ of salt?

I know there will be many different answers but even a good place to start will allow me to go up and down from there as I pour.  

Also are most people just buying fine salt and blending it down further? My local places dont sell salt flour or popcorn salt (unless your want dill pickle) so I will be blending down some table to courser salt.

Most but not all people buy it online although you can grind salt to a fine powder . In my humble opinion and my experience is to just buy it from a reputable bait supply source. I know some grind there own ,and i did too when I first started but for me it's just easier to buy it then to do it myself. One less thing to do. 

As far as salt in baits it's your preference , however in baits like stick worms you need the salt for ballast . I usually start at 2 tablespoons of salt to 4 ozs of plastic and stuff like craws I usually just use a pinch of salt to 4 ozs of plastic but here again it's all in what  You prefer 

I go over to Smart & Final or Sam's Club and buy a 25 lb bag of fine restaurant salt.  I have some gasketed pickle buckets I store it in to keep it dry.  

For baits I intend to cast weightless like Club-Os I add 1/4 salt to 1 cup MF Soft Sinking.  

I don't really put salt in anything else.  If you are making for yourself, it doesn't take much salt to give a bait a salt flavor.  Maybe a teaspoon or so per cup of plastic.  If you are making baits for sale ask the customer.  Remember they may not have a clue.  Some are just gungho about salt and think some sprinkled on the outside makes it a salt bait.  Others have a clue, and can give you some guidanace as to what they really want.  

If I salted any of my other baits I'ld try to find that balance to be slightly buoyant still.  I never understood having heavy salt in a craw so it just falls over when it hits the bottom.  

Listen to what everybody says, and then... "salt to taste."  

• Like 1

thats the trouble with being a Canuck, the shipping costs make it hard to purchase online from US supply stores and the Canadian ones are few and far between. I think Ill try breaking some down in the food processor for now, and see if I can talk the local dealer into ordering or stock some for me