Nightjack

Heavy Jig tying

Anyone have any advise on thread to use for heavy jig tying?  I am making 4,5,6 oz and maybe a 16oz jig for saltwater fishing.  The 4,5,6 oz will be fished by snapping on wire line and intercepted by some toothy fish.  I see braid is often used, but heard the cement coating doesn't adhere to it well.  Not sure if that is accurate, new to this.  Any other thread recommendations?   Thanks

Braid is fine as long as it isn't hair you are tying. The reason is the braid has a coating on that is slick and doesn't grip the hair that well.  The stuff you want is sold by Barlows Tackle, it is called big fly thread and is 400 denier, it is made for large fresh and saltwater fish.

• Like 1

I buy my nylon thread from the thread exchange . com. I just know it is size 46. Don't know what it compares to with other sites size wise. 

I paid $10-$11.25 for 2500 yards. Depends on color.

Edited by BLT
prices

On 3/24/2017 at 7:43 PM, BLT said:

I buy my nylon thread from the thread exchange . com. I just know it is size 46. Don't know what it compares to with other sites size wise. 

I paid $10-$11.25 for 2500 yards. Depends on color.

BLT do you find this to be stronger than flat waxed nylon?

As for price I think you nailed it ....none cheaper! 

You  Da Man.

Edited by fshng2

11 hours ago, fshng2 said:

BLT do you find this to be stronger than flat waxed nylon?

As for price I think you nailed it ....none cheaper! 

You  Da Man.

I don't have an answer for you, because ever since I started tying about 8 years ago, this is all I used.  I have used some of the smaller size threads from there for crappie jigs and shad darts, but it snaps VERY easy lol. People say that flat lays better/looks nicer. Well, if you use your hand that is helping to hold the jig/hook, make your fingers into a wall like shape, and just let the thread hit your fingers. Roll your fingers slowly to whatever side you are going. Makes for nice, smooth wraps.

It has been mentioned here before about the thread sealer soaking through to the hair. Here is another tip some never knew/used before.....On Barlows site, look up the "applicator" bottle that has a needle on it. If unsure of the sealant soaking through, or just for extra piece of mind, use this bottle to squirt sealant inside the jig hair by the hook and it will soak in from that direction. Only a couple bucks.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Musky Glenn said:

I use nylon rod wrapping thread. May not lay as flat as a flat thread but doesn't break while tying. For looks I try to keep my length of wrap shorter. Don't like a long wrap.

Thanks for the info Glen, I do break flat waxed if I pull too hard.

1 hour ago, BLT said:

I don't have an answer for you, because ever since I started tying about 8 years ago, this is all I used.  I have used some of the smaller size threads from there for crappie jigs and shad darts, but it snaps VERY easy lol. People say that flat lays better/looks nicer. Well, if you use your hand that is helping to hold the jig/hook, make your fingers into a wall like shape, and just let the thread hit your fingers. Roll your fingers slowly to whatever side you are going. Makes for nice, smooth wraps.

It has been mentioned here before about the thread sealer soaking through to the hair. Here is another tip some never knew/used before.....On Barlows site, look up the "applicator" bottle that has a needle on it. If unsure of the sealant soaking through, or just for extra piece of mind, use this bottle to squirt sealant inside the jig hair by the hook and it will soak in from that direction. Only a couple bucks.

That's why I like the 46 size thread. There is never a need to pull hard enough to rip this stuff. Even if pulling to get more flare.

I like it, thanks BLT.  I am going to get some 46, if you can pull without breaking, it's way stronger than flat waxed.

Also thanks for the applicator tip, I can use all the help I can get.

Edited by fshng2

I use flat waxed nylon for a couple of reasons. The first is that it lays flat and doesn't build up as fast, this lets me use 210 denier on small hair jigs without it building up and looking nasty. The next reason is the waxed nylon actually grips the material better,  with silicone or rubber it isn't a big deal but it does help to keep bucktail from sliding on the jig collar or hook shank, ask anyone who has tied a hair jig and found that one side had more hair than the other.  The last reason really isn't a problem if you are familiar with tying, but when tying silicone and/or living rubber the flat waxed nylon can be wrapped tighter before it cuts through the material than regular nylon or braid.  If you have tied for any amount of time you know that if you pull too tight on silicone and rubber you can cut right through it, especially fine cut material, but flat waxed nylon allows you to pull tighter without it happening, and that isn't to say you can't cut the material with flat waxed nylon because you most certainly can, but it takes a little more effort to do so.

I have a drill bit that I wrapped duct tape around so the spool slide onto it firmly. That way the drill bit won't damage the spool.  Sit the large spool you bought on the floor, wrap about 6 wraps of thread around your empty spool, use the drill to fill it.  I just squeeze the thread a little for tension, and work the thread back and forth to fill even.  I use the larger size spools so I don't have to fill them as often.