TMatherne

Mesh for Scales

12 hours ago, Ted Matherne said:

Thanks for the info.  I've tried many wash sponges from many different stores. I've thought the lines were too thin. 

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Painting-Accessories/Scale-Netting.html

They sell  scale netting order # 3078 fine or course.

They also have a tutorial @ that link...hope this helps.

17 hours ago, Ted Matherne said:

Thanks for the info.  I've tried many wash sponges from many different stores. I've thought the lines were too thin. 

Bath Mesh: Measures .016" thick.

Tulle: Measures . 006" thick.

See attached picture for samples.

Edited by fshng2

Scale material can be found everywhere. Visit a fabric store. One yard of fabric 42" wide costs 1.99 to 6.99.  One yd does a ton of lures. I like a little strech in most fabric I use for scales. Cut it into strips and roll it on wooden dowel. I use hex material in 3 sizes. Diamond mesh in 6 sizes, and bath sponge type mesh in 4 sizes. I save the bag that garlic comes in. It looks exactly like what you have in the picture. Some scale materials are a pita to work with. But once you use them and heat set paint with them in place, they hold their shape and slide on with no work at all. So I reuse mine as much as possible.  Just store it with whatever lure blank matches it. 

To organize mesh, I cut swim noodles in half lengthwise and glue them to the top of my paint booth. It is handy, organized and out of the way. The wood dowels with fabric rolled on them are inserted into the foam.  The size of lures varies greatly. The size of the mesh has to match the size and type of fish. 

Edited by Chuck Young
added info

Stick with it, and post some pics to the gallery. 

19 hours ago, fshng2 said:

Bath Mesh: Measures .016" thick.

Tulle: Measures . 006" thick.

See attached picture for samples.

If you find the lines are too thin, you can thicken them by spraying at an angle. It gives a nice effect too. Hold your brush near the nose and angle it toward the back. 

Edited by Chuck Young
Added info and removed nude pic of labrador retriever.
  • Like 1

The thing I do pay attention to is the size of the bait compared to the opening of the mesh. I want the mesh to be a realistic size compared to the bait size. This is why I really look at the mesh. I have about 4 different size openings.

When getting low, I'll cut some off and take it with me. :?

Dale

• Like 1