Nebraskalure

Senko mix or formula

I've used medium in the past and even hard, just messing around. Honestly it depends on how you rig it on whether the hardness plays a role. Oddly enough I found the softer stick baits lasted longer. By the way, if you're selling them don't label or advertise them as Senkos unless you're comfortable with getting a cease and desist from Gary Yamamoto as he owns the trademark for the name 'Senko'. 

16 hours ago, Baitjunkys said:

depends, i shoot all my sticks in medium, i want bounce in the bait, not a limp noodle like the yamy. personal preference i guess.

I think this kinda depends on what part of the country you're from.  Out here in the west, guys talk about a Yamamoto Senko being as hard as a rock.  Personally, it's the hardest soft bait I've ever used (if that makes any sense.)  Definitely not what I'd consider a limp noodle.  lol

I read here years ago that the original GYCB ratio was 2 parts soft plastic to 1 part salt.  I follow that formula, and get stick baits that weigh the same as the Senko.

I switched to glass beads, same ratio, and just a tablespoon of salt for taste per cup to get stick baits that are  more durable.  I add a teaspoon of softener, too, because I like wiggle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-LBS-Glass-Bead-Medium-Grit-MIL-SPEC-8-70-100-grit-Sand-Blasting-Abrasive-/111672165459?hash=item1a002e0453:g:VocAAOxydgZTKU6c

If I put an O ring 1/4" down from the nose, I can T rig one of my baits and pitch it back in the tulles all day, or until enough fish have eaten it to either break it at the hook, or make the plastic too shredded from burying the hook point to keep fishing it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nebraskalure said:

Thank you Mark 

Just be sure you spray your injector  tube with PAM before each batch, so you don't wind up scoring the inside from the blast medium.

If it feels gritty, push the plunger out, and spray down the barrel, so the O ring on the plunger cleans the barrel on the way back in.

I've been using the same injector O ring for years, and it's held up.  I just have to take care of it.

Bear in mind I'm just a hobby pourer, so I only do small batches for myself and a couple buddies.  I have no idea what's involved with using my methods/materials for production.

On March 26, 2017 at 2:33 PM, alsworms said:

I think this kinda depends on what part of the country you're from.  Out here in the west, guys talk about a Yamamoto Senko being as hard as a rock.  Personally, it's the hardest soft bait I've ever used (if that makes any sense.)  Definitely not what I'd consider a limp noodle.  lol

I will have to back you up on that theory. Here in Ohio, we have some humidity, and I have noticed that my senkos are usually the most durable in the winter (not as much humidity) and less durable than certain stick baits, such as the Yum version in the summer months. It doesn't seem to matter to the fish, however. To me, this theory is very interesting.

• Like 1

I live in NoCal, use this in my 2/1 senko mix with soft plastic, a tbl. spoon/cup of salt, and a tsp. of softener, and my senkos are flexible and stronger than the original.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-LBS-Glass-Bead-Medium-Grit-MIL-SPEC-8-70-100-grit-Sand-Blasting-Abrasive-/111672165459?hash=item1a002e0453:g:VocAAOxydgZTKU6c

I use medium plastic and use 2 heapingtablespoons of salt per half cup of plastic and half tablespoon of softener. The sticks have good wiggle but are just like the original, useless after one fish. I've used the do it HDA and it's good for making a really durable bait, it just doesn't have the same wiggle as the ones I make with salt.

17 hours ago, FATFLATTIE said:

I use medium plastic and use 2 heapingtablespoons of salt per half cup of plastic and half tablespoon of softener. The sticks have good wiggle but are just like the original, useless after one fish. I've used the do it HDA and it's good for making a really durable bait, it just doesn't have the same wiggle as the ones I make with salt.

The glass blasting medium makes them really tough, but not stiff.  I add softener anyway, for more wiggle on the fall.