1 hour ago, StriperCandy said:

That's a nice set up with a lot of thought. 

Yep, that would be my dream dryer.

Only thing the dryer needs is a plexiglass window in the  back and a plexiglass door in the front for dust.

Maciej says he's made improvements and I'm betting that's probably one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=obrpxUrP85k

download (2).jpg

Edited by fshng2

1 hour ago, StriperCandy said:

I was thinking the same thing about enclosing it. I didn't think about plexi in the back. Mine has thin ply-which is ok, but I need to install a light. 

A light is a great idea, which can also provide some heat to help cure epoxy.

Striper - it's official: I need to make one of these.

Like I said earlier, I use wheels.  I was coating fairly heavy 7 inch baits this morning, so I load a wheel completely so it stays in balance and spins nicely (8 baits).  To begin the process, the baits are un-coated.  I pull one off, replace it with a "dummy" to fill the space and keep the balance, start the wheel, and coat the one I removed.  Then, stop the wheel, put the freshly coated bait back in place of the dummy, pick a new un-coated lure, put in the dummy, start the wheel... repeat.

In a lapse of concentration (and moment of stupidity), when I stopped the wheel, I grabbed one of the baits I just top-coated instead of the dummy.

Yep... handful of epoxy... great way to start the day.

Just built my new dryer. It Can hold 24 baits on 1/2 in pvc pegs that fit snug inside caps. Pictured are pvc with electical gator clips to hold the baits on. I’m going to make some pvc pegs with screws too for larger musky baits.

I did run into one problem tho. My old motor doesn’t have enough power to keep it spinning consistently. Don’t make to much fun of me but it is a 36 rpm motor.(I realize it’s to high) Will dropping down to a lower RPM motor with similar specs like eBay ones I hear a lot about give me enough torque or should i go for something bigger like a grill rotisserie? I plan on doing some musky baits on it so I need some power.C7876D5D-D5EB-4E37-B5D6-4E2EBE443EE7.thumb.jpeg.b42086bc4ad9624ec4b6bb511eda071c.jpeg219F91FA-6F1E-4FB3-ADEE-F69D215EBE78.thumb.jpeg.7e07bf242d60bfc484bae3677ae9ea63.jpeg

Turtlebait, the PVC cap mounting is a great idea.  I don't know if this was your intent but it looks like you have given yourself the versatility to mount various sizes as well as jointed baits.  I might have to give you design a try.

I too am liking the PVC cap idea. Very innovative, good thinking.

I used the same principle with tapered clamp rods that pushed into holes on the wheel. But, I had to manufacture the rods.

The 'cap' method will give a mounting sturdy enough for jointed swim-baits. I know this because I have used push-on joints on another project with sturdy success.

Dave

Thanks guys! It was inspired by some of the production wheels musky and pike lure manufactures use. It is very versatile, It will be nice to be able to finish all the sections of a swimbait at the same time. Also I will use the PVC pipes to hold lures through the panting process. Then put them on the wheel when they are ready to be epoxied. I am going to have to experiment with some ways to secure larger lures but i think I have some ideas that will work. I went ahead and purchased a BBQ rotisserie for it. It was a little more expensive at $25 bucks on amazon but it was rated for 40 lbs. I think it will be worth it in the long run. 

I did build a painting stand based on my tapered insert rods. It sat in a BIG bearing on the base for easy rotation. It actually rotated in 2 axes for total flexibility. But, I abandoned painting before ever trying it out. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman