JZ515

Soft Plastics Newbie - Need help!

Hello,

Me and my brother have recently just started up soft plastic lure making as a new hobby. Little bro got a starter kit from Lurecraft for Christmas, and he has been successful in getting himself and I hooked. I have since bought my first injection mold, a single 6" lizard mold, and a aluminum injector from basstackle.com. Before I spend anymore on supplies, I want to prioritize my wants so that I can master the process sooner. I have seen through google and other sites that this is the most knowledgeable site for help, so I would like to ask a few questions and hope you guys could help out!

1. How dangerous are the fumes? I have seen some pretty over-dramatic statements regarding the fumes, and I understand that scorching the plastic can cause toxic fumes to be omitted, but does normal cooking at the correct temperatures emit dangerous fumes. Currently, we do it in the garage with a little fan sucking the fumes out into the open. Is this enough ventilation?

2. What is the next best option for heating plastic after using a microwave. Right now I have an aluminum pan on a hot plate that heats pretty erratically, and is hard to control the temperature. I have seen some information about presto pots, are these able to keep the plastic at a decent temperature while I make baits?

3. I am running low on supplies, what is the best places/type of plastic to get? I need a good balance between price and quality. Also, what place sells the best colors/glitters? As for molds I think I am going to keep buying from basstackle.com.

Appreciate in advance all of the help! I am sure I am forgetting a lot of questions.

1.  Dangerous   Use a respirator and a fan of some kind to get the fumes away from you.  Your eyes can absorb the fumes, too.

2.  Don't know   I use a microwave.  I tried a hot plate first, and it didn't work at all.  Scorched my plastic.

3.  I get my soft plastic and pouring supplies from Baitjunkys