JLS

Tinsel Skirts on bass baits

Has anyone tried tinsel skirts on their bass baits?

I've had some custom skirts blended for my Musky baits that are a really good match to some of my silicone skirts on my smaller spinnerbaits. The guy that built my tinsel skirts has been trying to get me to put tinsel on some of my bass baits for a while now; I've never been big on change. Well, I done a little playing around in the shop today a put together a few spinnerbaits and fineness jigs using 350 strands of tinsel; they do look good and the tinsel has a lot of flash and movement in the water.

As I don't have near enough time to fish, I packed up all of the samples and will get them shipped to the staff in the morning. I hope to get some good feedback on these but was curious as to whether anyone has tried tinsel? If so, what is your opinion of the tinsel skirts?

Thanks so much!

Edited by JLS

Yes, I've tried using full skirts of flashabou in various colors. After doing that I had a better realization about the importance of a skirt, I did manage to catch some fish when I used an all flash skirt on a spinnerbait but I never got a single strike when using the same skirts on a jig. So, when I was using it on the jig I made sure to use more muted colors, I was using sea foam and purple and had a jig with silicone skirt material in watermelon and purple. I got not a single bite with the flash but the silicone was able to get a few and I repeated this over 3 fishing days, the same thing, I hit a nice piece of cover and pitch the flash jig in and nothing, switch to the silicone and I'd get bit. The funny thing is that when fishing dingy water, adding a few strands of either flashabou or Krystal flash to a jig can really make a difference, and it is a killer on hair jigs but a full skirt doesn't seem to work except for a moving bait, so I'm guessing that it did work on a spinnerbait it would probably be good on a swim jig as well.

I've only tried them on jigs, and failed miserably. Maybe not the correct day or the correct light, but an all flash jig, did not produce for me. I made several jigs in all flash, to add to my arsenal, since an all white jigs doesn't work that well for me either.  With that said, I don't use jigs with an all flash skirt. Like smalljaw mentioned, you can add some flash as an accent. But I'll stick to my regular standard jigs. I don't fish many spinnerbaits, so I can't comment on how they would work in an all flash skirt .

Thanks for the replies!

I had only built 2 jigs as they did look a bit different and the tinsel isn't going to have much movement on a bait that moves that slow. I will play around with adding a few strands to some of them.

The spinnerbaits were sent to Oklahoma and will be tested on a muddy river over the next couple of weeks. I'm really interested in seeing if the extra flash helps in the muddy waters. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

3 hours ago, tablerocktackle said:

Tried using flashabou mixed in with regular silicone skirts but on the finished jig the tinsel stuck out in a wild and random pattern... is this way it is supposed to look or am I doing something wrong?  Thanks,  Michael 

That's the way it should look. When the jig is moving through the water, the tinsel should lay down with the rest of the skirt.