alsworms

Hand-Poured Versus Injection

Hey All,

Anyone have a preference between the two?? hand-poured versus 2-part (injection) molds :?:

Maybe it comes with the territory, but I have always had better success with hand-poured baits because of the action and color varieties. I have several 2-part molds, but can never seem to make consistent baits :huh:

Any thoughts on this :?:

Chris, at first thought I was going to agree with you. But as I thought about it, I realized that I primarily only use handpours in finesse situations. Drop shot, split shot. Sometimes I'll T-Rig a 6" hand pour.

But when it comes to larger worms, 8 and 10" I have very good success with the injections. This might be because there are very few "large" curl tail hand pours out there. Lots of straight and spade tail variations.

I'm sure if I had some curl or sickle tail big hand pours I would have equal or more success than the injections. I've been working on a mold desing for some 8" curl tail hand pours. If I ever get it finished, I'll let you know how they work.

I guess my answer to your question is that I feel each time has it's time and place and can work equally well as long as you have confidence in the bait that you're using. :wink:

I am a firm beleiver in the Hand Pour. I have 2 burners and 4 pans and have gotten very good at multi pours. I only pour for myself and a few others as this is a hobby and NOT a stressful busines :wink: . I like to do round worms but rather than inject i just "fill" the cavity. I did buy one of Del's 4" drop shot molds and learned that his aluminum molds are the cleanest and easiest mold to pour in. (use i to pour the "girly worm")

Tim

Sure makes sense Chirmy. Judging from the pictures and feedback on Del's molds, you can't go wrong there. He sure makes a dynamite product :D My other problem is the price. I know a lot goes into the molding (machine) process, but I would need to invest big bucks to have a good rotation of 2-part molds.

I grew up fishing with hand-poured stuff, and you're right on the money with using a "confidence" bait. Sometimes I'll fish with the same bait all day - just because I like the feel and color. It might not be producing fish, but I just KNOW it will on the next cast :D

Chris

Injected baits are great for ponds, fun fishing, etc. When you are throwing plastics, and REALLY need one more bite, the color, softness, & floatation (if un-salted) of hand pours make a big difference. Think the most obvious place it shows is on carolina rigs, where the flotaion makes a tremendous difference. For flipping/pitching and other reaction presentations, injected baits are probably ok.

What I have seen mostly is the added action from hand pouring. Injection does "look" pretty most times. But what I have seen and found mostly is the weak link where two colors combine.

I have a friend that was utterly amazed when he seen a multi colored worm that was not going to pull appart where the colors meet.

Injection plastic has a tougher, almost silicone like texture, It can work, But it is made to resist heat from the mold, Not to focus on the action and quality. It focuses on speed of production.

Not to mention I love the feeling of landing fish on the lures I make.

No greater rush in my opinion.