Andyco

Is there a way to thin and extend D2

Mix a few drops of denatured alcohol into enough mixed D2T to do 2-3 baits.  Go slow. A little alcohol goes a long way. That will thin the epoxy and increase the brush time by a couple of minutes.   Denatured alcohol is the only thinner I've tried that doesn't screw up the epoxy.  The rotation time required will also be longer by 15-20 minutes but it will still harden to the touch in about 5 hours, effective full cure in 12-24 hrs. 

• Like 1

I only do 1 or 2 lures at a time and still was having trouble with the D2 getting too thick before finishing.My cellar is kinda cold (50's) which was causing the problem.Denatured alcohol works but I like to have a thicker coat so I warmed (not heated) the D2 before mixing and the lure and that helped a lot.

I just use a couple drops to make it more simple three drops from a medicine dropper I've also put it in after I mixed the epoxy with no issue I think some guys go overboard with epoxy like weighing it I just get those cheap plastic containers not shot cups because they are tapered the ones I use are straight and I measure with a ruler on the  plastic cup lets say a qauter inch and just put a dot with a sharpie then another qauter inch from that dot up so total a half inch i heat both the resin and hardener then put the resin in first up to the first dot then hardener to the second dot mix it well with something metelz no wood stir sticks I have a small screwdriver I use then once mixed I put the isopropyl in and mix it for a couple minutes and I've never had an issue I hope this helps good lick

Add alcohol a couple of drops at a time until you get the viscosity you want the epoxy.  I dip my brush in the alcohol and shake it into the mixed epoxy, then stir it in.  Not too much!  A little goes a long way.

• Like 1

From Devcon:

Thinning is possible with denatured alcohol; mix the epoxy and hardener together first then mix in the denatured alcohol. This is good for getting rid of air bubbles. It also makes the product clearer and slightly changes the product making it more flexible. NOTE: this will also change the tensile strength. 

Interesting about "clearer" ..

craig

Let's put it this way then:warm it but don't let it get too hot--hows that?I have one of those Quartz lights,I think it has a 500 watt bulb.I put the D2  tube and the lure near the light for a couple minuites just to warm them.Then mix,apply,put on the wheel to cure.Works for me.

No chuck don't do that I learned the hard way 

you can heat it up to get it soft but it doesn't come out right when that happens I just mix a touch more you have to remember also the brush is starting to set also so eveetime you dip the brush in it just adds to the epoxy setting 

I've tried heating D2T resin and hardener in my microwave.  If your resin has begun to turn solid white, that will make it liquid again, like you can do with honey that has begun to crystallize in the jar.  But hot, not warm resin will also become very thin, almost like water while the hardener remains more viscous.  That can cause problems with measuring unless you are using syringes.  Another problem is hot epoxy will also cure much faster than epoxy at room temperature.  My bottom line is you can warm D2T up to "room temperature" but if you go higher you start having problems.  I just store D2T in the house and avoid the issues.  The more you limit the things that can go wrong while  building a crankbait, the happier you will be. 

• Like 2