SW Lures

Salvaging Some Baits

I have been talking to BobP about these baits. Several swam properly and some didn't. They did well on retrieval test, but when I tried trolling they rolled. I'm hoping to salvage them if possible. The ones that swam correctly caught fish. These baits runs 25' deep with a fast wiggle, and wobble at a nice rate.  I'm wondering if the shape, length or width of the lip is the cause.

This one runs true,

0330171805.thumb.jpg.f52875f83246fae8785bbf770be11d64.jpg

This one does not,

0330171804a.thumb.jpg.a7c4c49cc619e28accd39e5b7464cc58.jpg

I want to show the size of the baits on this one,

0329171808.thumb.jpg.0fb64ed4e3d59346311da6d311397c58.jpg

These were the first baits I made. I think I see one issue from the pic. I was thinking about rechecking the center of the bait to the center of the lip and maybe rounding the lip.  So what do y'all think, what can I do with these?

Thanks,

Dale

Likely they are over-lipped. In addition the second bait's lip looks slightly skewed to the left.

Having too much lip for the size of the bait is likely what is causing the bait to be okay on a retrieve but roll on the troll. With the increased speed and duration a the forces on a trolled bait are higher.

The options to try to salvage would be to try to reduce the lip forces or increase bait stability.

Lip: assuming you don't want to deal with moving the line tie:

You could narrow or shorten the lip.

Stability:

Add heavier/larger split rings and/or hooks (make sure they don't tangle.)

Add a dressed treble for the rear treble

Add weight to body (either lead tape/suspend strips to belly , or lead wire to hooks), once you find if it works you could then add the weight into the body.

Flatten the "forehead" and fist half of the back of the bait (in theory flattening the sides could affect too)

craig

Edited by clemmy
  • Like 2

Thank you for your ideas. I have change the bill width and length. I also changed the hook size up on the front. The bait ran fine in the testing. This gave me 4 more baits. I took the boat out and all the tools I needed to do the repairs. Did it on the water and in deep water.....lmao. Got it done tho!

I'm leaving tomorrow and will see what they can do. I'll be back in a few weeks and hope to have some fish pic's with the baits.

Thank you and take care,

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
Typo
  • Like 1