Little Sal

Createx - anyone use for spinner blades or jig heads

5 minutes ago, Apdriver said:

Yes, you can use them but they would need to be topcoated for durability. I prefer powder for my jig heads but use Createx for for my spinnerbaits and Arigs. Pics of some of that stuff is in the gallery.

Can't an acrylic or water based paint be used with a top coat of Dick Nite's clear for durability?

Edited by fshng2

Thanks for the lightning quick response Apdriver. I heard good things about DK topcoat but i've never used it to see how well it protects.

Like you I also prefer to Powder coat all my jig heads as it is fast and very durable.

I also use water based paint and markers when powder painting. Then use clear PP To protect.

Edited by fshng2

That's a very nice finish on that flutter jig, fshng2. Really a nice resemblance to a sardine or minnow that would catch fishermen or fish;-) in case you run out of DN and want to try something else, The KBS Coatings Diamond Clear is really nice, self leveling, crystal clear, and doesn't seem to have the storage issues of some of the other MCU's. The problem I could see with topcoating Createx with clear powder is scorching/bubbling your beautiful paint job you just worked your hiney off to put on there getting it hot enough to put powder on. I haven't tried it though. With the DC, I just brush it on and then put the bait on my turner for a couple hours or overnight. KBS also makes it in a spray now and I have some of it . I thought if a guy wanted to topcoat some painted blades or some big spoons, something like that, it would be the cats meow.

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm really looking for a wide range of colors and thats why the created is appealing.  This is mostly for small brass blades and powder coating won't work ... for what I'm trying to do.

I see some of these great lakes / salmon companies that paint spoons with some great colors.  I guess thats more of what I want.  Been searching on line all day.  Depending on who you talk to you get 5000 different answers. lol

Sealer first and I will include a link to Createx Auto Borne Sealer. It's what I have found works best and any good paint job starts with a good foundation. I just use the white and the black to keep things simple. Depending on what I want to create, I'll pick my foundation. They have many colored sealers. 

http://www.autoaircolors.com/custom-automotive-paint/6001.html

Then your color. To run paint through your airbrush, and you may know this already so forgive me if you do, you have to reduce it because the airbrush has fine passageways and the nozzle/tip are usually very fine. Sometimes you have to reduce these paints up to fifty percent especially the pearlized colors and the Wicked colors with small flake. I recommend the 4012 High Performance reducer and you will use a good amount of it so buy more than 2 ounces. 

http://createxcolors.com/wicked-airbrush-colors/reducers-cleaners/4012.html

Apart from these products and the paints the only other thing I use is an airbrush cleaner. Some guys use the restorer. Of course, you need a good cleaning regimen for your airbrush and that can be found with a google search. 

Topcoats have been discussed just a bit and some care must be taken to maintain a good shelf life on the MCU's. Some guys like Devcon 2 ton epoxy. I don't care for the pot life, that's why I use an MCU.

Heres a couple photos of some heads and spinnerbaits done with Createx and topcoated with KBS Diamond Clear.

IMG_1495.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1983.JPG

• Like 1

Little Sal, I wanted to address the multiple coats that you alluded to in your previous post. Most of these paints will cover in a single coat if we didn't have to reduce them so much. Because we are thinning and reducing the amount of pigments to the volume we spray,  we have to spray multiple coats to cover the piece and to get the depth of color we want. Multiple thin coats and you heat set between coats. Do this with a heat gun. Thin coat, heat set, another thin coat, heat set. I like to spray 10-20 baits at a time and this cuts down on my color changes. 

• Like 1